Engine Big problems

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
Well finished my HCI project today and ive got big problems. The car fired right up and the idle with the TFS stage 1 cam was awesome but I noticed white smoke coming out of both tailpipes and once the car warmed up I could see coolant spraying from somewhere just below the passenger side valve cover back by the firewall. It seemed like it would spray in cycles based on the thermostat. So evidently coolant is leaking externally and also getting into the combustion chambers or at least some of them.Did not see any coolant in the oil though. My guess is the gt-40 lower is the culprit but I would appreciate any comments. Or advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Was it thick white smoke ? Could've just been condensation...or something burning off in the exhaust. Most often the intake gaskets will put coolant in the oil...but can put coolant in the front or rear cylinders. Could pull plugs and check cylinders for coolant. A scope helps but a pressure tester will push coolant enough to puddle real good in a cylinder. It would also help a lot finding external leaks.

Reactions: 1 user
Its burning for sure as the puddles beneath the tailpipes were sweet liquid. 90 % sure the external leak is coming from between the head and intake. Im wondering if its worth a shot at trying to re torque the lower intake to head bolts.

Yup...what the thief said. Might as well pull it and find out what's wrong. Look in the throttle body too. I had an issue where I didn't tighten the throttle body to the egr spacer. It was spraying coolant....and putting coolant in the intake.

No point in torqueing it down.
The gasket is already compromised.
Besides you NEED to know you found the leak, last thing you want is water making it's way into the oil.
And the intake comes off relatively easy.

Reactions: 1 user
My egr is external so no cooling.
So I pulled the intake and will get new gaskets but im going to permatex around the cooling ports this time.. I also had a rapping noise coming from number 3 cylinder. I could have sworn it was an exhaust leak but im almost positive it was not, I think it is one of the number 3 lifters . While I have the intake off I think I may swap em out. But in my experience a lifter usually ticks and this was a rapping noise. The noise was the loudest right at the header flange. But there is no indication of an exhaust leak there.

What intake gaskets did you use? I recommend Felpro 1250-S. The s is important and indicates gasket layered with steel core. The straight 1250 looks similar but does not have the steel core and has a tendency to deform.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
A good trick to prevent the intake gaskets from slipping is to use threaded rod on the corners to guide the intake down. Then you start the other bolts and removed the threaded rod, replacing it with the correct bolts.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users