Biggest Tires For 68 Coupe?

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hi All,
I know this question has been beat to death, but I haven't quite found the answers through searching. I want all 4 tires/rims the same size on 15" rims. What is the tallest/widest tire that I can safely fit on all 4 corners and what width/backspace rim is needed? Car is stock ride height and I have no issue with rolling fender lips, etc. I'm assuming 8" wide rims and 4" or 4.25" backspace (less backspace would be nice but I think that would compound fender well clearance issues.
Thanks Guys,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

You can't really go 8 inch wide up front on a 15 inch wheel w/o rubbing. You'd be limited to I believe a 4.5inch backspace and you would rub the fender lip. If you tried more backspace you'd hit the upper ball joint. On a 15 inch rim, I would recommend a 7 inch wheel. You could obviously go wider at the rear but you said all 4 must be the same. A 4 inch backspace will most likely clear just fine. I run 15x7 up front with a 4.25 bs and have no rubbing problems at all; perfect fit IMO.

I would suggest going with 225 60 15 on 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing. This is the backspacing that 15x7 Magnum 500s have.

I run 215 60 15 on mine with Magnum 500s, but its a 65.