black widows in western oregon?

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
found this in my garage today. I havent been in there in a couple of days.

It got the wd-40 blow torch therapy btw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Image084.jpg
    Image084.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Image086.jpg
    Image086.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 229
  • Sponsors (?)

I would not of had the heebie jeebies so bad if I had not walked into the web when i stumbled through the door.

I moved from new mexico two years ago. I doubt the eggs could of lived that long. So the little bastard probably was here when I moved in.
I think I am going to bug bomb the hell out of the garage in the morning.

yeah ive found some weird crap in our garage. when we first moved in there was all kinds of things wandering around in the garage.

i used the overhand torque wrench smash on our spiders :D

that would probably not help keep it calibrated.

two feet of flaming death propelled from a can of wd40 was good enough for me. which reminds me, my zippo is low on fluid.

I think I had one also living somewhere in the top of the gazebo in my yard that is over the hottub. Looked like it anyway, had the little red mark on it. I sprayed the hell out of everything with insect/spider killer and since then no sign of it. Was afraid to go in the water for while. Guess it doesnt help when you have a forest behind your house :(

Yup, we do have a version of Black Widow spider that is native to the area. Luckily it's not particularly dangerous. The Brown Recluse is the one spider that freaks me out, but it is not native to Oregon (or anywhere within 1000 miles or so, thankfully).

Dave

Rootus said:
\The Brown Recluse is the one spider that freaks me out, but it is not native to Oregon (or anywhere within 1000 miles or so, thankfully).

Dave
Ya thats a nasty little bugger, makes your flesh rot away where-ever they bite you in some severe cases. They also like to hide in beds,closets,shoes, etc which makes them all the more enjoyable.

gutlessTahoe said:
We have had a few cases of brown recluse bites up here, so any spider I see I kill no matter what.

BTW, Isnt it too cold up in the NW for Black Widow's?
In the Northwest, we have a version of the black widow called the Western Black Widow. Only adult (or nearly adult) females are capable of biting through human skin and injecting venom, males and juveniles of both genders are basically harmless. And if you are bitten, your odds of dying are microscopic (there have been no documented deaths from black widow bites in the United States in over 20 years).

The brown recluse is nasty, but recluse spiders only exist in the southern United States (and lately they've shown up in a few places in southern California). In the Northwest we have a similar looking large brown spider called the Hobo Spider (formerly "Aggressive House Spider" :)). It causes a similar kind of wound as the brown recluse, though not as severe. When you hear of someone in the Northwest getting bitten by a brown recluse, what they really got bitten by was a Hobo Spider. Still nasty.

Dave

At my old place in Eugene, we had hobo spiders up the a#@! On slow evenings, we would walk around the outside of the house and torch them. They were also handy to catch and scare drunk college bimbos with. Several of my girlfriends were so scared of these spiders that they would stay in my room at all costs (which made things easier for me).
As far as the black widows go, my parents brought up several on some garage items when we moved from california. The movers were so scared that they refused to touch the furniture until my mom killed them all. San Diego was full of them!

i'm not afraid of them, but man do i hate spiders! i seem to run into a web every 2 days right outside my front walk way. i don't mind them but when your face runs right into a fkn web, as if it was only looking to catch you. i drop everthing and hurl my arms around. even after that you still got the spider crawling on your arm or shoulder. i'm sure its funny to see, but still. also hate stepping on slugs at dust or dawn when i take out the trash or step into my mustang. :nonono: one of my coworkers from federal way got bite on night sleeping like 2 months ago. and the bite ate away at his flesh and grew into the size of a nickel in his forearm. he was stupid and let it go for 3 days, before going to the hospital and getting antibiotics. they hospital said it was a brown recluse bite. also in my old house we had those FAT HUGE HAIRY spiders that seem to always to appear when you turn your lights on. just sitting on the wall CHILLIN!