BLOW THROUGH AND MINI RACE

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
hey guys i already have all the parts for my build and the car goes in monday. however, my builder calls me and says he has a maf for me that is new and wants to try it out. it is for a blow through set up. i already have the sct ba 2600 but he is wanting to use the one he got and go blow through. so i have 2 questions.

1. can i go blow through even though the novi 2000 kit i got was made for draw through?

2. i already have a vortech mini race valve, can i still use this valve with a blow through set up?

if not to either of these i think i will just use my sct meter and go draw through.

i just dont want to buy another valve. its bad enough i have to buy both meters......guess i will sell one.

• Sponsors (?)

yes and yes. I am running blow thru with a lightning MAF and vortech S trim and Paxton intercooler and the mini race bypass. actually looking at ur sig, i have pretty much the same setup except for a vortech s trim.

oh great. thats perfect. now i just have to figure out if i feel like buying his meter too so i can go blow through and going through the trouble of selling the one i got. pita!

do you vent to the atmosphere with the valve? can i run it either way or do i have to do it that way? also i see some people using the vortech mini race on blow through such as yourself, but their power and boost levels seem to be lower then what i hope to hit.

so im wondering if the mini race valve can only be used in a blowthrough application up until a certain point or boost level that is lower then it would normally be able to handle on a regular set up?

Mini race should work fine up till about 20psi no matter what. Being run as blow through or draw through doesn't effect how the valve functions.

One of the big pluses of running a blow through is that you DONT have to recirculate, so yeah you don't need to set it up to recirculate (unless you want your setup to be quieter or something). Personally, though, if I was going to be shooting for as much power as you are, I would pickup a Mondo race valve, or some other huge blow off, can't hurt!

It seems so wierd to me that you need to have a blow off valve that opens during boost. :eek: I assume this is to prevent compressor surge? Still pretty weak that you use all that crank power to spin the supercharger harder, just to dump the result of that work out the blow off valve.

Anyway, you just need to make sure no air is lost or gained after passing through the air meter. If you are blow thru, then make sure the blow off valve is before the air meter. If you are draw thru, then set it up as a bypass and return the air to the blower inlet.

It seems so wierd to me that you need to have a blow off valve that opens during boost. :eek: I assume this is to prevent compressor surge? Still pretty weak that you use all that crank power to spin the supercharger harder, just to dump the result of that work out the blow off valve.

What are you talking about, opening during boost? It's a vacuum controlled valve, it is PULLED open at vacuum, and PUSHED closed at 0 vacuum or positive pressure (boost).

Anyway, you just need to make sure no air is lost or gained after passing through the air meter. If you are blow thru, then make sure the blow off valve is before the air meter. If you are draw thru, then set it up as a bypass and return the air to the blower inlet.
it does not open @ WOT. the bypass and blow off valves work on vaccume. So once the TB blade is closed there is a vaccume created inside the lower intake. This vaccume is transferd over to the valve sucking it open letting the boost bleed out preventing surge when you do not want boost.

so in short the valve is open @ idle
partly open depending on how much throttle you give it and closed @ WOT

Ok, that makes a lot more sense, but the website I was looking at is worded funny: http://www.steeda.com/products/vortech_mini_race_bypass_valve.php

"If your supercharged Mustang is pushing more than 12 PSI of boost, you need a bigger bypass valve to keep the intake charge cool and prevent reversion in the impeller"

They are talking as if this valve actually keeps the intake charge cooled DURING boost, and prevents reversion DURING boost (as if there is a problem with compressor surge). Please tell me I'm not crazy for reading it this way.

What are you talking about, opening during boost? It's a vacuum controlled valve, it is PULLED open at vacuum, and PUSHED closed at 0 vacuum or positive pressure (boost).

Ok, that makes a lot more sense, but the website I was looking at is worded funny: http://www.steeda.com/products/vortech_mini_race_bypass_valve.php

"If your supercharged Mustang is pushing more than 12 PSI of boost, you need a bigger bypass valve to keep the intake charge cool and prevent reversion in the impeller"

They are talking as if this valve actually keeps the intake charge cooled DURING boost, and prevents reversion DURING boost (as if there is a problem with compressor surge). Please tell me I'm not crazy for reading it this way.
2 things there, with the more boost it would need to let more are bypass quicker-needing a bigger valve

also with more boost the spring in the valve may not be strong enough to hold the valve shup when @ full boost causing it to leak by

I know well from turbo apps what a blow off valve is, and how/when it works. I was thrown off by the terrible explaination on the steeda website and thought it was a completely different kind of valve for a different purpose. I still think it was written as if the valve is functional during WOT.

No one cares what the intake temps are except at WOT anyway. Heck, nearly every manufacture adds hot exhaust gas to the intake at light loads (EGR), not to mention those with coolant heating the lower intake manifolds and those 80s setups for drawing hot air from around the exhaust manifolds.

do you vent to the atmosphere with the valve? can i run it either way or do i have to do it that way? also i see some people using the vortech mini race on blow through such as yourself, but their power and boost levels seem to be lower then what i hope to hit.

so im wondering if the mini race valve can only be used in a blowthrough application up until a certain point or boost level that is lower then it would normally be able to handle on a regular set up?

Yeah i vent to the atmosphere. It was loud when i first got it, but now i'm used to it and dont notice it as much. I dont think you'll lose any power by going blow thru. Look at my numbers, and thats with a 3.2 pulley. If you going with a 3.0 pulley, you'll be making at least 450hp.

Why try a new MAF that your tuner has? The SCT MAF you have is great and is tried and tested, so screw being a guini pig. Just tell him no,its your cash, you already bought one and arent selling it to lose cash, unless he trades you straight up.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS. well, i was under the impression that i would make more power going blow through otherwise whats the point?

so that is why i was going to do it. also the sct meter is not used for blowthrough is it? if i use the sct i think i will still go draw through

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS. well, i was under the impression that i would make more power going blow through otherwise whats the point?

so that is why i was going to do it. also the sct meter is not used for blowthrough is it? if i use the sct i think i will still go draw through

I'm not 100% sure, but i didnt think it mattered if you used a MAF blow thru or draw thru. I am using the lightning MAF with the diablo MAF ext and i didnt think that was supposed to be for blow thru either. But its working perfect going on 2 years.

HMMMMM, interesting

i guess ill see what happens when it goes in the shop. i was hoping to break 500rwhp. maybe i dont have a small enough pulley with the 3.0...damn!

what other mods do u have?

i didnt want to pulley down just yet.

I would think you should be able to hit 500hp with no probs with a 3.0. I didnt notice you also have heads/cams. I bet if you pullied down even further you would be in the mid-upper 500's easy. You have the perfect setup and everything needed to make about 600hp imho. I'm very curious to what your going to make since we have about the same setup, I've got the MPH boost pipe,paxton fmic,dual cobra pumps/tank,KB BAP,GI JOE 8 rib kit. I am in the process of trying to save up for a built engine/head/cams too.

Ive got Accufab TB/Plenum, Bassani Mid length headers, Bassani O/R X pipe, Borla exhaust for bolt ons. I had my car tuned safe and conservative since i'm running the stock block/internals and didnt want to push it anymore.

well, i will def. let you know. i will see what she does with the 3.0 pulley. its not much smaller of a pulley but i spent so much cash on this set up i hope to hit 500rwhp at the least.

you are right, our setups are very similar. later depending on what psi i see with this pulley, i might step down to the 2.8 but i will def. be adding a p51 intake. so we will see what that thing adds too.

good luck on your build. id recomend getting the whole longblock built by the same person at the same time if you can. i wish i did it that way. not that its better but you know everything will work right together and well together.

Dont use the sct for blow thru or you will have to buy a maf ex. I maxed out my ba2400 at a measly 380hp @ 5700 rpm, and all sct said is to step up to a 2600. Blow thru is supposed to have better drivabilitly because it meters only the air going into the engine, not whats going out the bypass too. But i know there are people who like suck thru.

i'm running a SCT3000 MAF as a blow thru with a Tial BOV. honestly it sounds cool for a while but i'm already sick of all the air being vented constantly. my old engine was not nearly as loud (10psi less boost) so i guess thats where all the extra air is coming from.

anyways you can run any meter you want as long as it isnt pegging. blow thru or draw thru it doesnt matter. and your mini race is fine to vent to the atmosphere.