Blower or exhaust, which should i get first.

dvtr-

Feb 13, 2009
Houston, TX
Since the kenne bell 2.1L is alot more expensive than the exhaust(lt headers x and catback) id like to get that outta the way first, but how much will my stock exhaust with welded on 44's be bottlenecking the blower? Or will i be having any negative affect at all?
This is an 01 GT 40 k miles

• Sponsors (?)

The stock cats and H pipe are fairly restrictive. I would recommend doing the exhaust first, then the blower. You'll want a good tune after installing the blower, and adding the exhaust on later could effect the tune.

Pretty much everyone does exhaust first cause its cheaper. BTW, long tubes are one of the most expensive mods you can do that give the smallest HP gain. :shrug:

If you are gonna go through the trouble to swap them then you should get long tubes. Equal shorties might show you a 2-5 hp gain where long tubes MAY give you up to 12 ho but usually 7-9 is the norm. :shrug:

So should i get shorties?
No definitley do full exhaust first.Do the blower and tune last.
From what I have seen the stock H pipe is very restrictive.
Also don't do shorties get longtubes.I have seen gains of 13-15 rwhp
from longtubes on our cars.What exhaust do you plan on getting?
If you have emissions testing where you are at plan on getting
high flow catalytic converters or you will fail emissions.

buy longtubes and install them yourself. it takes about a day but is well worth it, not just because you save money, but you will then be able to dive in and take parts off in the future. i was scared to do it, but after i have full confidence in taking anything off the front end.

How do most ppl with an off road x pipe pass emissions testing? dont they just get mil eliminators or a tune to clear the error code?

They dont pass.... the MIL eliminators just get rid of the CEL

Most states either do the sniffer test, or visual and some do both. If they do visual you can gut a cat or put on the shields to look like a cat...if they do the sniffer test then their is no way around that.

How do most ppl with an off road x pipe pass emissions testing? dont they just get mil eliminators or a tune to clear the error code?

Yeah you won't pass emissions.
If you live in a place that has strict emissions laws then I would consider
getting high flow catalytic converters.For yearly inspection you can
not only turn off your check engine light with mil eliminators but,you
can turn it off with a tuner or in a tune.

I guess I'm going against the grain here but I would do the blower first (as I have on a couple of other cars myself). Typically it has always been harder for me to come up with the cash to buy a blower vs. smaller components so do the high $$$ item first then the rest will come much easier.

i would leave the stock manifolds alone, put a good mid pipe on it, then the blower. if you do the exhaust after the blower it WILL affect the tune... when i had mine tuned the first time, i had just welded brand new high flow cats in. they were choking the whole system. after i drove on it for about 8 months and had it retuned, during the baseline run, the air fuel jumped up from 11.8 to 12.9, just from breaking in the cats... lol rwhp jumped from 357 to 390 as well...

whats really scary, is that i had an o/r h pipe swapped in there for a little while, which makes me really wonder what my a/f was at that time... the car ran AWESOME with the o/r h installed, im lucky i didnt cook my pistons...

thats my 2 cents.