Bodywork at primer stage damaged by leaking roof

infosyssec

Mar 28, 2003
Bodywork at primer stage damaged by leaking roof - need advice !

I have an 88 Mustang convertible in the garage that I have been doing bodywork on for the last few months. I have gone over the body about four times trying to catch every possible imperfection and fix it.

The car was sitting in the garage with the body at a final stage ( with primer ) ready to go to the paint shop.

We had a torrential rain the other night and water leaked into the garage, collapsing the gyproc ceiling down on to my car.

When I went out there in the morning I discovered the poor car covered with drying chunks of mushy gyproc all over the primered body.

My first thought was that I should back the car out of the garage and high pressure hose ( used cautiously ) to spray the gyproc off the car.

But I am a little concerned about two things : the water that already fell down on to the car ( it was quite a bit ) and the gyproc particles that were splotted onto the body along with the water.

My concern is that either the water saturation or the contamination of the primer has put the car in a situation where I need to strip all the primer off the car ( to remove the saturated primer and the gyproc contamination ) and then restart the sanding and primering again.

So the question I am posing to others who may have been here and done that is whether I am right that the water soaking and the gyproc contaminaton requires me to redo the primering by sanding off the contaminated body work.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share on this unfortunate situation.

• Sponsors (?)

I would take it down again if you want the paint to come out perfect. Anything other then primer is bad and that is alot of moisture getting into the primer as well.
But I'm no pro. Good luck with it.