Brake’s won’t bleed on 87 LX

I think if i were you i'd just be gutting it, installing a plug and installing rear discs.
I thought i saw premade conversion lines recently, that would make life a lot easier.
You are already going down a rabbit hole, might as well get something for your time and money.

The bonus? You may never have to work on drums ever again.

• Sponsors (?)

Just to clarify you do not completely gut the stock combination valve when installing rear disc brakes. You "gut" the proportioning side of the combination valve and leave the shuttle side.

BrakeProportioningValveDiagram.jpg

You will need a new cap as the stock one has a hole in it that will leak when it is gutted.

Some have completely deleted the factory combination valve and gone with a Wilwood combination proportioning valve like this one:

To go this route you would still need a 3-2 kit if you keep your stock MC but if you swap to a 93 Cobra MC then you do not need the 3-2 kit as the Cobra MC is a two port vs the stock 3 port. Maximum Motorsports sells the 3-2 kit but you can make one yourself:

If you knew all this then disregard but there still seems to be a little misconception as to what functions the stock combination valve performs.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I’d love to convert to rear discs now, but just need to get the brakes working then focus on so many other parts of the car. Seems like I should just stick with the combination valve I have if they can’t be purchased new. Or can I gut it and add a separate proportioning valve while keeping the rear drums? If I replace everything but the combination valve and my brakes still don’t work, my head may explode!

Disc brakes are just cool
I'd kill to have them on my 12 bolt Camaro, stopping distance or not
My 69 has been locking up one wheel since I bought it in 79
Wish I had discs on that as well
I will swap to Versailles stuffed seat Granada discs, some day when I care less about stock value
I think it's a little more difficult on a Fox Body with an 88
You need to swap 5 lug axles in a 88 TC axle right?
Is that even do able?

I have a proportioning valve off my 93. Removed it when I went 5 lug. I can mail it to you if you want.
Thank you, what a great offer. I think mine is fine, though. The rubber plunger came off the shuttle valve when I removed it , but is whole and pliable. There was nothing inside other than brake fluid, so I put it back together and moved on. I’ll definitely reach out if something goes south! Thanks again. One SSP to another!

Reactions: 1 user
I might need to take you up on your offer after all, Mstng93SSP. My proportioning valve is gone, so I guess the government mechanic fixing the patrol cars felt it was unnecessary! No proportioning valve added anywhere else, either. At least they put a plug on the side for the rears so it didn’t leak. Why would they do that, and what effect has this been having on my braking? Here’s a pic of the entire thing, disassembled.

Attachments

• CA641E7F-578B-494C-8719-A31DDEAE6BE6.jpeg
    CA641E7F-578B-494C-8719-A31DDEAE6BE6.jpeg
    572.9 KB · Views: 31