Brakes Brake pedal rising

kanubul

Jun 12, 2020
SLC Utah
I am having a problem with my brake pedal rising when I drive. I am not sure if it happens when I use the clutch but it will raise up a good 2 inches or so to where instead of moving my foot from the gas straight over to the brake, I have to raise up my foot. I am not sure where to start with it and I am not finding much when searching online. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

289, 3 speed manual, manual drum brakes

• Sponsors (?)

There is a clutch pedal stop that is bolted to the clutch/brake pedal support bracket under the dash. The clutch pedal makes physical contact with it in the upward position. It could be loose or not even there. Also I have seen where the bushings of the pedal support have worn to the point that that both pedals act funky.

There is nothing else in the clutch system that can cause this except for what's under the dash.

There is a clutch pedal stop that is bolted to the clutch/brake pedal support bracket under the dash. The clutch pedal makes physical contact with it in the upward position. It could be loose or not even there. Also I have seen where the bushings of the pedal support have worn to the point that that both pedals act funky.

There is nothing else in the clutch system that can cause this except for what's under the dash.
Thank you, I started to find some talk about the bushings or something wearing out. I found a kit through National Parts Depot that changes to bearings, I ordered that I will post if it fixes it.

The bearing kits are good updates for our cars.

Good Luck!
I installed this at the end of last week and fixed my problem. The old clutch rod that held the brake pedal was worn to the point there was about 1/8” groove worn out of it. The plastic around it was frail and broken. The new roller kit worked like a champ. I had to replace the mounting bracket for the pedals because the holes where they mounted was factory oblong not circular. I didn’t want to risk them being misaligned so I spent the $55 and replaced it. Bad news is I messed up the threads putting the Brake master cylinder back in so I had to order a new master cylinder.

Last edited: