Brakes - Missing Anything?

I'm going to finally order the parts for my brakes this week, not sure if I'm missing anything.

I'm getting them from Maximum Motorsports (unless cheaper elsewhere??). Here is the parts list so far:

Powerslot F/R Rotors
Hawk HPS+ F/R Pads
Ford High Performance Brake Fluid
Brake Hose Kit

I didn't see any Royal Purple brake fluid on their website, and I'm assuming the Brake Hose Kit is stainless steel brake lines. It doesn't say anything about them, and no picture is listed.

Also, all of this will come to a total of $650. I can get a COMPLETE Cobra brake upgrade kit from www.stangsuspension.com. It comes with all calipers, rotors, brake pads, moan braces, dust shields, brake hoses, everything for $770.

Do you guys feel this powerslot/hawk setup is going to be as efficient as the Cobra upgrade for $120 cheaper? Or should I just spend the extra cash and get the Cobra brakes?

Been debating this for a while now and it's time to get something done so I can move onto suspension or gears. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sold on the Cobra brakes. The Brembo rotors that came on the Cobras are excellent. I don't plan on using anything else. There's no need for any slotted/cross drill fancy stuff. There's plenty of scientific data to support the use of non slotted/drilled rotors.

There are cheaper places to buy brake goodies. Check these guys out
http://www.performancepartsinc.com/suspension.htm
They have OEM/Brembo rotors for $80 each
They have the Cobra calipers for $124. They may be found cheaper on Ebay.

I found my Cobra brakes on Craigslist from a guy parting out a '98 Cobra.

MM's brake lines are stainless steel braided. I got put them on my GT. The Motorcraft brake fluid they sell is great stuff. I use it. Unless you are road racing this stuff should work fine.

There are cheaper places to buy brake goodies. Check these guys out
http://www.performancepartsinc.com/suspension.htm
They have OEM/Brembo rotors for $80 each
They have the Cobra calipers for $124. They may be found cheaper on Ebay.

Wow, that site is actually fairly expensive once you start pricing everything out. I had it up over $700 and that wasn't even including brake pads.

2xFront Brake Rotors= $160
2xRear Brake Rotors= $100
4xCobra Calipers= $500

Is this what you were talking about? Just want to make sure I added it up right. That's not including brake pads, stainless lines, or anything else.

Ebay is a good place. I dont know if this is what your looking for but I purchased this set a few months ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-04...898 662QQrdZ1

That kit is the exact same kit I was talking about on StangSuspension.com.

Here is the kit I was referring to, take a look and see what you guys think. It still seems like the best bargain for an entire Cobra setup.

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=825

Dude buyfordracing.com has the mach1 brakes (same as cobra, just don't say COBRA on the calipers) for $309.99 including stainless brake lines. Then buy a set of cobra rear rotors somewhere, and the caliper brackets from ford. GTs and Cobras have the same rear calipers, so I don't really see a need to replace them. Just remember to get Cobra pads as they are thinner to compensate for the thicker rotor.

Here's a link for the frontshttp://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=594

Heres a link for the rear cobra brakes... they are $175..http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=477

Grand total of $485, front and rear.

Hope this helps.

Basically I'm just trying to find out how to get the Cobra setup at the cheapest price. What you said makes sense, but I'm not sure that's cheaper than the StangSuspension complete setup either.

$309 for front.

Rear rotors are going to cost at least $200 for a set, possibly more. That brings the total to $509. Then I would have to get brake pads on top of that, probably about $80-$100 for a set of rears. So Say $600 now. Then I would have to buy the rear caliper brackets...not sure on this though. When you say caliper "brackets", do you just mean replacement calipers?

Anyway, I see it very close to or exceeding the StangSuspenion setup.

I could have priced the stuff wrong, but what do you think? :shrug:

edit: You edited your post, I'll review that quick...haha

I think I'd want to go with the red cobra calipers on the front, so $359 for the front setup. For the rear, it doesn't come with calipers or brake pads. The rear Cobra calipers to match the front (red) are $200. Then I would need brake pads, so I would think $80 or so for a good set of pads.

So, with those pieces:

Front Kit: $360
Rear Kit: $175
Rear Calipers: $209
Rear Brake Pads: $80 ?

Total: $824

...If your saying the rear Cobra Kit can be used with the stock calipers, I could probably paint my stock ones red to match the front and save $209. I would still need rear pads, and I would try to get a set of PBR's to match the front stock pads. So minus the calipers, I'm looking at about $615?

Kit includes; production 11.65' rotors, caliper mounting brackets, moan braces, dust shields and dust shield bolts

That's what the rear kit comes with. If I were to get the Front Cobra Kit, that stuff does not come included. Would I need that stuff as well for the front?

What are your plans for the car? Are you planning on participating in open track events? If the answer is no then I'm not sure you need the Cobra rears.

Just paint the rear calipers red and buy the Cobra kit for the front.

That front kit should be all you need for your car, the extra stuff is only needed in the rear. Also like rootus said unless you plan on taking it to the track a lot the rear brakes aren't really needed, and you could just paint them red to match. I'm getting the Brembo Cobra r brakes for the front and getting that cobra kit from summit for the rear. I plan on doing some open track stuff and also a lot of it is just for looks:D

Yeah what TSoccer said. If you just HAVE to have the entire stock Cobra setup, then all you need is the front kit for $359, the rear bracket & rotor kit for $175, a new set or rear pads for a cobra, and some red Krylon from wal-mart for a buck. Voila, 10th anniv. brakes for under $545. I promise, this is ALL you need, and includes stainless front brake lines. That said, cobra rears are not really needed on the street.

Ah, so I could get the Cobra front.

Then for the rear just get a decent but good priced set of PowerSlot rotors and a set of Hawk HPS pads. The rear would be done for $280 (via MM) then.

So then the setup would cost: $639

Unless I can find cheap OEM GT brakes/pads that would do just fine. I wouldn't even replace the rears right now, but they are in worse condition than the front. They all need replacing. :(

I don't plan on doing any track events with this car.

Quickshift_02GT said:
Ah, so I could get the Cobra front.

Then for the rear just get a decent but good priced set of PowerSlot rotors and a set of Hawk HPS pads. The rear would be done for $280 (via MM) then.

So then the setup would cost: $639

Unless I can find cheap OEM GT brakes/pads that would do just fine. I wouldn't even replace the rears right now, but they are in worse condition than the front. They all need replacing. :(

I don't plan on doing any track events with this car.
The $175 cobra rear kit includes oem rotors. All you would need to buy is pads. As long as the pads are less than 95 bucks, the cobra rear will be cheaper. Cobra rotors are bigger, thicker and vented. They are the better buy.

Awesome, I'll do that then.

I appreciate the help guys. Now I guess my only question is if the front calipers are on backorder at buyfordracing too. They seem to be on backorder everywhere else and I read that there was a nationwide backorder on them from another site.

Always something... :D

There are many sites that sell the Cobra kit, have you tried them all? You may spend a few more bucks but at least you'd have them. Check Craigslist and the classifieds on here and Corral for used calipers and brackets.

I suggest that you get some Speedbleeders. These will make the job much easier. Their Speed Bleeder Bag and Hose Combo compliments the bleeders.
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

BuyFordRacing doesn't list them as out of stock, and they have great prices...so I'll try there.

Going to order this then:

Front Cobra Kit: $359
Rear Cobra Bracket Kit: $175
Rear Hawk HPS Pads: $63
Total: $597

I'm going to get the Cobra stuff from BuyFordRacing, and the Hawk pads for $63w/shipping from Mustang Tuning. Total cost of $600 for basically a complete Cobra setup. Not bad. :nice:

I'm going to try and find some Royal Purple Brake Fluid around here before installing anything. I'll also look into those Speed Bleeders. I've never done brakes before (if you haven't figured that out already :D) so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to be tackling this myself.

I couldn't get one of you fine gents to help me out, could I? :shrug:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. As always.

Quickshift_02GT said:
Then I would have to buy the rear caliper brackets...not sure on this though. When you say caliper "brackets", do you just mean replacement calipers?

Not sure If you got this answered or not. The "rear" brackets are to move the caliper further out to fit the bigger rotor. So you have to pull your axels to get the old bracket off to put the new one on.

Quickshift_02GT said:
BuyFordRacing doesn't list them as out of stock, and they have great prices...so I'll try there.

Going to order this then:

Front Cobra Kit: $359
Rear Cobra Bracket Kit: $175
Rear Hawk HPS Pads: $63
Total: $597

I'm going to get the Cobra stuff from BuyFordRacing, and the Hawk pads for $63w/shipping from Mustang Tuning. Total cost of $600 for basically a complete Cobra setup. Not bad. :nice:

I'm going to try and find some Royal Purple Brake Fluid around here before installing anything. I'll also look into those Speed Bleeders. I've never done brakes before (if you haven't figured that out already :D) so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to be tackling this myself.

I couldn't get one of you fine gents to help me out, could I? :shrug:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. As always.

I would be glad to help on an afternoon or saturday. Just shoot me a PM when you are ready.:nice: :SNSign: