Brand New 2005 GT with Rusty Brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperdean

Apr 3, 2005
austin Tx
Hey guys

I finally found the new 2005 GT I was looking for today. Silver, Charcoal Leather, 5 speed. Everything about it looks good EXCEPT a rust-colored substance on the brakes showing through the wheels. I moved my finger over it, and it didn't come off. The thing is, every GT on the lot had the same brown-orange coating on the brakes. (See the attached JPEGS)

<B>This CAN'T be rust, right? </B>

Do other people have the same pattern on theirs? What IS this stuff? Please provide your opinion soon as I was hoping to buy this tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Jef

Attachments

• rust1.jpeg
    rust1.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 175
  • rust2.jpeg
    rust2.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

jasperdean said:
Hey guys

I finally found the new 2005 GT I was looking for today. Silver, Charcoal Leather, 5 speed. Everything about it looks good EXCEPT a rust-colored substance on the brakes showing through the wheels. I moved my finger over it, and it didn't come off. The thing is, every GT on the lot had the same brown-orange coating on the brakes. (See the attached JPEGS)

Do other people have the same pattern on theirs? What IS this stuff? Please provide your opinion soon as I was hoping to buy this tomorrow morning.

Jef

Freshly machined surface + water = rust. Mine do it everytime I wash the car.

Now the dampner and rear axle are a different story.

You think thats bad check the rear suspensions and ....

rear axle, harmonic balancer and of course you know about the brakes !

Check out my site: http://homepage.mac.com/stangracerx/

Its surface rust (don't worry about it). However I would take a wire brush
to each part and use some rustolium paint on each part.

jasperdean said:
Hey guys

Jef

Every car that has rotors that are iron [steel] rust when they get wet. Just as Tom said "you'd better not look UNDER the car..." <chuckle> With most cars you just can't see the rotors as much. Which is why they don't leave them exposed most of the time.

And please don't try to coat your brakes [except for the calipers] with anything. That could be dangerous.

Mike Elia
05 GT lime

yes it is surface rust. ALL cars will do this. it is nothing but the rotors gtting wet and then not driven for a day or so. Drive the car 2 miles and it will clear off of the rotors as soon as you use the brakes

I have the same problem with my GT and with my wife's (would be wives if I lived in Utah) Hyundai Santa Fe. However odd this may be, my Silverado 2500HD never does this. I'm thinking it is the type of material used (i.e. cheap). When the rotors need to be replaced, I will upgrade and that may take care of it. And I am serious, my Silverado never has the surface rust - even when parked for a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.