Brodix vs AFR

• Sponsors (?)

Either head would be fine if your talking the Brodix 50 heads vs the AFR165.

Older Canfields....no

Newer Canfields....not a bad choice although I am not 100% sure they have been released.

I have read dyno reports that show no loss of bottom end torque with the 185's over the 165's(unless the 2.02 valve is a problem) leaving room to grow...but you know how mag articals are written :rolleyes: .

Well what would I benefit more from, the 165's or the 185's? I'm getting a custom cam so maybe ed could grind me something a little smaller so I won't have piston problems. The pistons I have now are speed pro forged with 10:1 compression if that will help with the question.

ms93gt said:
Well what would I benefit more from, the 165's or the 185's? I'm getting a custom cam so maybe ed could grind me something a little smaller so I won't have piston problems. The pistons I have now are speed pro forged with 10:1 compression if that will help with the question.
They 185's are arguably the best emissions legal head you can buy out of the box. They will benefit you if the rest of your intake track is oriented for high rpm, or if you want to boost down the road, or want more cubes latter.
I also have Speed Pro pistons(part # L2488F forged). The heads that I have now are Edelbrock performer 5.0 with 2.02 valves(I have 185's on order). The problem here, if they are the same piston, is that the valve relief is cut for a 1.94"(or 1.90" can't remember) and they will need to be cut for the bigger 2.02, making a smaller grind cam will not help in this case. I had to learn the hard way to not make spontaneous decisions at the order desk :( .
I would find out for sure what valve relief your pistons have and go from there :) .

Well the guy I bought the motor from had edlebrock peformer rpm heads on it with a trickflow stage 2 cam, (which I have now). But since you say the 185's are for high winding then maybe I should just get the 165's cause I need torque because this will be a street car.

ms93gt said:
Well the guy I bought the motor from had edlebrock peformer rpm heads on it with a trickflow stage 2 cam, (which I have now). But since you say the 185's are for high winding then maybe I should just get the 165's cause I need torque because this will be a street car.
RPM heads have 1.90" or 2.02" I believe, so no help there :shrug: .
As I said before the 185's do not cause a lack of torque only more top end power, the 165's are designed to be a direct bolt on, read no piston modification, for a stock short block. However I can only go by what I have read as I have not personally dyno'd identical engines with either head.
If you have doubt as to your piston or do not plan to change your combo down the road than the 165 is the head for you and it will perform great.
Just suggesting you look down the road, maybe your like me and change combo's every 3 years or so, the 185's will grow with you :) thats all.
Good luck.
P.S. The stage II 224/232-.553/.563 will like the 185's better and either will need a spring upgrade to run it :) .

What is the PT# of your piston, this will tell me if the 185 will fit.

If you plan to go with any type of healthy cam, or custom cam you will need upgraded springs.

Rick 91GT said:
What is the PT# of your piston, this will tell me if the 185 will fit.

If you plan to go with any type of healthy cam, or custom cam you will need upgraded springs.

What does PT# mean?

For a supercharged street car which head Brodix ST50 or AFR165? I never hear anything about Brodix.

To properly pay to have those E'brocks ported, valve job, surfaced, install and set-up springs etc will cost more in the long run then buying a out of the box AFR.

It's a street car/daily driver as well, he doesn't need peak number at 6000 that combo is long dead before that. He needs the best average flow across the entire rpm range.

I see you have RCI headers, are they around anymore do you have a link. I have set for my car as well, very nice pieces...

Don't forget there is more to the torque curve than what size head your using. Your intake, cam, exaust, and lets not forget the drivetrain can heavily influence the way it drives. Once these TW's I have sell, I am going to spring for AFR 205's.