Broken Engine Cross Member Bolt

Looking for help or advice on the best way to remove a broken engine cross member bolt on my 66 mustang.
rsz_3rsz_img_0052.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Drill it and easy out (which is never easy)
lots of heat, penetrating oil, and luck

Worse comes to worse drill bigger and weld coupling nut in almost flush and grind down flush.
hex-coupling-threaded-rod-nut-stainless-steel.jpg

If you are good at welding ,weld through the hole in a nut like a plug weld to the broken bolt ,you would have to be careful to not weld the bolt in ,let it cool and soak with penetrating oil then turn it back and forth until it turns easily enough to turn it out

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for help or advice on the best way to remove a broken engine cross member bolt on my 66 mustang.
rsz_3rsz_img_0052.jpg

Tried soaking this bolt with penetrating oil and using a left hand drill bit to try and remove it still would not come out and the bolt was broken to far into the frame rail to weld anything to it without welding it to the frame. After everything else failed I decided to cut a section of the outer frame rail out to try and remove it that way.
rsz_rsz_img_0080.jpg rsz_rsz_1img_0082.jpg rsz_rsz_1img_0085.jpg
After marking the section of the frame rail to be cut out and drilling pilot holes I made the final cut with a body saw and a 3 inch cut of wheel. This is how I ended the day, will work on getting the bolt out tomorrow.

I went to tractor supply with the cross member bolt form the other side to get the correct size nut and bolt.
rsz_1rsz_1img_0109.jpg rsz_11rsz_img_0110.jpg
Found some hardware that would work so it's back to work out the best way to fit everything, in the original mounting space by tacking the nut in the original space or tack the nut to a washer then the washer and nut over the original opening.
rsz_1rsz_img_0113.jpg rsz_1rsz_1img_0114.jpg rsz_1rsz_img_0117.jpg
Will try a test mount of the cross member later today to see which way is best.

Reactions: 1 user
While waiting on the new cross member bolts to come in I test mounted the cross member with the bolt from the other side to determine the best way to attach the nut to the frame rail, with the nut on top of a washer or in the pocket. After trying to mount it with the nut on top of the washer and the nut in the pocket of the frame rail it appears that mounting it in the pocket is the best option.
rsz_rsz_img_0119.jpg rsz_rsz_img_0121.jpg
Now just waiting on the new bolts to come in

Reactions: 2 users
Well I got my engine cross member bolts in last week and mounted the cross member before welding the nut in to be sure everything was a good fit.
rsz_rsz_img_0135.jpg rsz_rsz_img_0123.jpg
After installing the cross member welded the nut to the frame rail
rsz_rsz_img_0127(1).jpg rsz_rsz_img_0125.jpg
Removed the bolt and put a good coat of never seize on it and reinstalled. It's not the prettiest weld but I torqued it to 50 ft lbs. several times before a final torque of 60 ft lbs with no problems or breaks. This is what it looks like after welding the plate back in.
rsz_rsz_img_0144.jpg
Now to clean up the rest of the frame rail a little touch up paint and all's done.

Reactions: 1 users