Broken slip yoke inside trans...Anyone ever done this?

Codydubb

Nov 3, 2011
Preston, Id
so today on a strong second gear shift i snapped my slip yoke inside my T-5 trans. i tried to get the piece sticking out with vice grips and pull it out but its stuck.. think im going to have to drop the trans and pull the output shaft cover off and check it all out and just to get the piece out... hope everything is ok.. any thoughts or comments/ideas

• Sponsors (?)

That happens a lot when using odd transmission, driveshaft combos. I've heard of it when a TKO trans is put in a SN95 car. The problem is that trans is shorter that the t-45 not allowing full engagement of the slip yoke. Damages not only the slip yoke, but also tends to twist the output shaft. This makes it very difficult to remove the broken slip yoke. If you've done that kind of damage you need to do a few things before proceeding.

Check the length of the drive shft and make sure it's not a bastardized unit. It may be too short and could have caused the problem. Pull the trans for inspection. Once you do get the yoke out check the splines to see if the sheft is twisted or possibly BENT now. If it's just bent a little it's junk. Replace the shaft.

Good luck!

img0781i.jpg
img0783ay.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/img0781i.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/img0783ay.jpg/

tko 600 is the trans i thought it was a t-5...but while im at it, if this trans is now ruined would it be an improvement to change to a t-5?

Sure...I'll trade you my T5 straight up for your TKO 600! No, seriously, the TKO 600 is twice as strong as the average T5. I wouldn't think your trans was ruined...but like the previous post above, you may have to replace the output shaft. Time to pull the tranny, take the tail shaft off and see what the damage is.

Joe

What is driving that trans! Pull the trans! You need to pull the top cover and release the shift rails before you can pull the tail housing. There is a thin bearing similar to a cam bearing in the tail housing that the yoke rides on it will have to be pressed out and a new one installed. I would expect either you ruined the output shaft or you will need to do some filling to clean the splines back up.

lol just a built 5.0 im thinkin one of my u joints seized up and thats what caused it to snap, the front one is very stiff, i talked to a trans shop today and they said it could be savable to just pull it and bring it in. they said labor would be about 250 plus the price of the output shaft if it is ruined. anyone know how much an output shaft runs?

tko 600 is the trans i thought it was a t-5...but while im at it, if this trans is now ruined would it be an improvement to change to a t-5?
dont ever go with a t-5... total garbage! ive had your exact issue 3 times and one time ripped 3rd gear apart and i was only putting down 300hp to the wheel! i now have a TKO 500 and its well worth the upgrade.