building first engine which one?? 302/306/ or 331

plus i dont see why 5.0 mustang magazine would do a huge article on how well and good DSS is if everyone is saying they suck... why would one magazine tell all its subscribers that DSS is excellent when reality everyone says they suck?

• Sponsors (?)

buff531 said:
plus i dont see why 5.0 mustang magazine would do a huge article on how well and good DSS is if everyone is saying they suck... why would one magazine tell all its subscribers that DSS is excellent when reality everyone says they suck?

Maybe its the 2 page full color ad's they run every month.

Do it right the first time and get the 393 or 408. And anyone that tells you a 351w swap is difficult or expensive is full of :bs:. Easiest best cubic inch investment ever. Get some real, reliable, cost effective power. TRUST ME you'll be glad you did. If you're dead set on the 302 based engine tho go with the 347 hands down. But if you do your homework on windsor swaps like I did, you'll be glad. Remember the mm&ff 393 with the stock unported E7's that made 380 hp and close to 500 ft lbs of torque... Just imagine what you could do with a decent set of heads ;).

From the club owner and president of Stangers against costly cubic inches. ;)

no they had a 5 page article on how well their engines are assembled, why to go with certian parts, cetain parts DSS makes, and what not.

then i even pulled ALL my old 5.0 mages and MM&FF mags and found a few more "articles" on them... not their ads... actuall articles.

again whywould two seperate magazine companies write so many dam articles on one company if they are crap like everyone is saying??? what gives?

buff531 said:
See all the DSS adds in their magazine? That answer your question? Back in the day when DSS was in Lombard or before, on Belmont Ave. on Chicago's NW side. They were the best. Now that they are spitting out crate motors by the hundreds they have lost some of their quality control. Maybe since you're so close to them you could keep an eye on what they are doing and make sure they don't botch the job, but I have heard nothing but horror stories lately about what they are building. Have you checked with Fox Lake? PER Performance?

no can you post their website?

heres the engine builders i know of...

DSS
Keith Craft
CHP
FOX Lake
PER Performance
FPS

do all these builders besides DSS make quality blocks? A salesman just came back from DSS and told me that place is immaculate. VERY VERY clean and just awsome how they build the engines... said they had them all lined up in a line and just go down buliding like 6 at a time...

i can see where the quality issues come out of.. if there building 6 at a time.... they are not putting 100% attention to the one block they are building... instead they go from one block and bolt on the crank, to the next and do the same thing and so on.... then they go back to the first and start on the next part....

Well i just called CHP and FPS to speak about purchasing a block and what they recommended...

CHP was EXTREMELY un helpful. sounded like he didnt even want to speak with me and i asked for help on which way to go and he didnt even ask what i was looking to do..

FPS on the other hand... that guy i talked to was great. He took the time to EXPLAIN everything!!!!!

anyway he told me he would recommend a 331 or a 347 both are the same price and he said the cost for you to go with a 306 to a 331 is marginal. if your going to do it might as well do the 331 or the 347... i asked about all those rumors and he said that there are no oil problems and he has known people who have driven the crap out of 347's and seen them go 100,000 miles!!!!!!!!! the engine comes with all forged internals and he said that he can get me imported aluminum australian heads that are ported for about 500-600 dollars cheaper than the AFR's i was currently going to go with and they flow just as good.

how do you guys feel about 331's vs. 347's??? theres about a 20 hp difference and 20 ft/lbs of torque difference...

Just to warn you, I've heard bad things about FPS on this board. Same with DSS as you found out. I am in the same situation as you but I may go with a 351. Seriously, you should at least check with Rick 91GT about assembling something for you. Who knows, he may even get the parts cheaper than you can.