Burnt Valve :( But Maybe A Solution?

ThatBear

Nov 29, 1999
Okay, so i picked up my 89 gt last week. Decided to take it by my mechanic because it felt sluggish and sounded like it was missing even after changing plugs and wires. He did a compression check and told me that i had a burnt valve and 3 others were "weak". He suggested that since he car has 206k miles on it that i dont just replace the heads. No sense replacing heads when he bottom end of the engine is really worn. My dilema is: i have a block from a 98 explorer with gt40p heads and intake. I will ofcourse get a valvejob on the heads and new springs. Im going to rebuild the motor and have the guy bore it to a 306. On hand i have a 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, 24# injectors, and trickflow stage 1 cam that will be added to my set up.
Now on the other hand: i have a 351w wrapped up in plastic sitting on my porch on a tire(cue banjo). It doesnt have heads but everything else is there. I would get it rebuilt.
What would your recommendations be? I dont want something thats going to tear my head off, just something.with some get up n go when i want, but also a nice easy driver. Thanks for bearing through my long post. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Go with the explorer motor.. 351 will cost more to get installed. And you will need a decent set of heads to make the extra cubes worth while. Get a good set of valve springs for the motor, put the cam in and go.. How many miles are on the explorer motor? You will have around 260 275 hp at the wheels with the explorer motor.. I got 260 at the wheels with the stock cam..with crappy valvesprings.. I bought a set but never put them on.. Putting different heads on now though so I'm not gonna bother..