C4 questions (BM shifter kit and AOD)

mhjo

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
Oslo, Norway
I am planning to get my C4 fixed soon. I have read a little on the BM web site, and they seem to offer to types, improver kit and Transpac.

Anyone tried one of theese????

I am also concidering a AOD. My rear gears are 3.00. Will AOD work on that gear ratio?

• Sponsors (?)

try performance automatic, and search for their website on google. They make quality stuff, imo b&m & tci = crap. Call PA and talk to their tech.

AOD will work w/ any gears. all you're getting is an OD gear that cuts your rpm's in the gear to get good gas mpg. AOD setups are a bit more expensive than c4.

NorCal66 said:
I just got finished puttin the transpak in my C-4, and personally I'm not really that impressed. It does make a difference, everything is much smoother and the shifts faster, but I was expecting something more that would push you back in your seat every shift...not so much.

A shift kit will not really give you anything in the seat of your pants. All a basic shift kit does is apply the bands and clutches faster. It actually helps with the wear of those parts too. There is less time slipping so the friction material stays longer. If your engine is making enough HP the shift kit will darn near snap your neck. My Big Block torino would spin the tires going into second, and chirp them loud going into third. If your car is not real torquey then the faster shift will just drop the engine rpm faster. You may do better adding a convertor to match your combo.

MJHO,
Transgo makes good shift kits. However, call Perf. Automatic and see what they recommend for your combo. I've been told an H servo in a C4 is the best one for performance. See if that helps too. :flag:

clev357 said:
MJHO,
Transgo makes good shift kits. However, call Perf. Automatic and see what they recommend for your combo. I've been told an H servo in a C4 is the best one for performance. See if that helps too. :flag:

Also adjusting your modulator valve for later shift (high R's) will help with the "kick" feeling. Also if you have stepper gears and less stall will help also. Too much stall will absorb some of the shock.

NorCal66 said:
I just got finished puttin the transpak in my C-4, and personally I'm not really that impressed. It does make a difference, everything is much smoother and the shifts faster, but I was expecting something more that would push you back in your seat every shift...not so much.

You should take a look at your intermediate servo...actually the cover and see what letter. A letter "H" will give you a firmer shift, and you can also order a new servo kit from TCI or other transmission houses, that will make it firmer. Many Mustangs come with the "A" servo, which is good for grandmas and ladies who want a nice smooth shift.

GaPonyFarm said:
You should take a look at your intermediate servo...actually the cover and see what letter. A letter "H" will give you a firmer shift, and you can also order a new servo kit from TCI or other transmission houses, that will make it firmer. Many Mustangs come with the "A" servo, which is good for grandmas and ladies who want a nice smooth shift.

Very good point, but you can also mod your current servo. Check out this great site.
http://www.burly4x4.com/c4/c4buildup/

GaPonyFarm said:

I RUN AN A CODE !! Hehe. Well when I was putting together my tranny I told the guy my horse power equirements and he more or less said the servo doesn't make the thing really shift faster. It has a greater holding force for massive amounts of torque (big block). The fast shifts come from the higher line pressure in the tranny.
That's why I like the transgo. It doesn't run stupid line pressure, and still runs a vaccum modulator to keep the line pressure down until vaccum drops. Takes it easy on seal swelling when not on the gas. It also has a switch over kit to change your tranny to a manual valvebody. :D Guilty as charged. And with no flare up between shifts (not even 2-3) on the bottle, I am very happy.