Fox Calling All Engine Builders

Andrew.whitt

Nov 22, 2017
Hello everybody, first post on here so please excuse me if this is on the wrong section. I was tearing down my 86’ 302 tonight, when it was taken part so that it was only the bottom end with the water and oil pumps still attached, I turned it upside down to let the oil drain out and these two things came out and look to be some sort of rivet, they are very small and I have no idea where they might go.
F98A8A6D-8122-4489-8050-820216AFF0BD.jpeg
E5FB499E-A0A6-4660-A447-68D5A1B3DA3C.jpeg
I haven’t been able to find any information on what they could be and hoped somebody could shed some light on this. Any and all responses appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

They look like oil baffle rivets from either a valve cover or lower intake. The baffle is the thin sheet metal that covers the holes for a valve cover breather or the pcv valve hole. I've seen them in an engine before.

Reactions: 2 users
Look under your lower intake, there is a oil splash pan, it could also be from a previous intake problem.
They likely were dropped during assembly, they look unused, just a guess, you would laugh at some of the stuff we found back when I worked in restoration

I appreciate all the answers. I asked in a Facebook group and got nothing but sarcastic responses. I think they probably are from a past assembly since my intake has no baffle plate and both valve cover baffles are secured with both screws. Here’s another picture of them for a size reference in case that makes any difference.
7BE622CD-1CCC-4375-80C0-B9A70E2B0775.jpeg

Definitely the rivets used for either Intake or valve cover baffle. Probably from a past assembly if yours are present.

Tech advice from FB? For every one guy who has a clue, you have 30 that have no idea but like to tell you you are an ahole for existing

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I guess they just see that I’m younger than all of them and assume I’m complete oblivious to everything and not worth their time to help
That’s exactly it, there are guys thirty years younger here that can do far more than I’ve even thought I could do.

You may get a sarcastic answer here periodically because some of us are smartas*es by nature though......I won’t mention any names......

Reactions: 2 users
What makes you think I know what a browser is?
I just wait till you tell me what I've screwed up :rolleyes:
There are certain browsers that spell check for you..in a lot of cases even adding appropriate punctuation. You'd be amazed at how many words would get by me if there wasn't a little red squiggly line under each one of the words that was misspelled.
Chrome....Firefox....Safari. Anybody that misspells a word using one of these browsers, could add careless, short attention span, and lazy their profiles

Reactions: 1 users