Cam Degree By Compression

rmadison

Jan 24, 2015
New to the forum. I had a question for the 2v 4.6. I know the cams can be off from factory. I read that you can degree the cams by checking cranking compression on both sides of the block. The advance or retard to balance the two cams.

If i was to just want to check stock cams could this be a viable way to make sure both banks/cams are even.

Found this on mustle mustangs and fast fords
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0612-ford-mod-motor-cam-timing/

A word of advice: Determine whether your mod motor suffers from this cam-timing malady. Performing a compression test (something easily accomplished by even a backyard mechanic) will show if one bank of cylinders produces a higher compression reading than another. The adjust-ment procedure will be much easier with a set of adjustable sprockets, such as the ones shown from Fidenza, but we performed our testing using modified stock sprockets. The best method (short of using a degree wheel and dial indicator) would be to adjust the cams until both banks produce the same cranking compression. The Two-Valve 4.6 motor ran best after we balanced the compression to match the lowest reading (both at 155 psi). In the case of our 4.6 Four-Valve motor, the best power came after the compression of both banks produced the highest reading (200 psi). Once we have adjustable cam sprockets, we should be able to dial in the cam timing with the cranking compression gauge.

• Sponsors (?)