Cam swap

That50

New Member
Apr 4, 2005
44
0
0
Houston,Tx
Stock 5.0 87 auto. Has 4:10's, bassani x-pipe, shorty headers, hooker muffler, trans cooler. Bought new S.P's today. Hooking up 80 dry shot of NOS as soon as $ gets here. Wanted to know what's a nice cam to run...


E-cam?


also, what are "cheap" heads.. GT40's worth it...??? OR save for some AFR's, etc...
 
A cam would be useless on a basically stock engine IMO. An intake would do so much more for you. As far as heads go, what are your plans down the road for it? What are your hp goals? These will all be the deciding factors.
 
Somwhere around the 400 hp range. I have quite abt of work ahead of me, I know, but just curious to which heads would be worth it.

I have a 302 bored 30 over in my gagrage awaiting to be built. Still decideing on 331 or 347. We'll see..


Question was, is the GT-40 a good investment on what I'm looking for? I sopent 330 on the 410's and installation, and that was a nice one at that.Also, is the GT40-P....?
 
Given speed density, the automatic and the lack of other mods, you'd probably be much happier just sticking with the stock cam. There are MANY folks who run well into the 12's and even high 11's with a stock HO cam. Concentrate on the other breathing aspects of the motor - that stock lower intake is the biggest bottleneck on the whole engine - I'd spend money there LONG before I considered a different cam.

In any event the E and the SD won't like each other; if make the other mods needed to use the E, you also need to convert to mass air.
 
Comp Cams has a nitrous cam that would go well with your combo. NX264HR

In case other guys are curious here are the specs:

Power range: 1500-5600 rpm
Duration at .050 lift: 264 intake/ 276 exhaust
Advertised duration: 212 intake/ 224 exhaust
Lift: .512/.512
Lobe separation angle: 114 degrees

Comp says the cam is supposed to be used with a 75-125 shot. As you can see it has a ton of exhaust duration compared to the intake duration.....must be good for running nitrous or something. It would also have quite a lopey idle.