Engine Camshaft Selection

Hey guys, I am new here and fairly new to the 5.0 world. I have been an FE guy for about 20 years but recently decided to buy a 5.0 setup to go in my 65 Falcon. Got everything from the donor car and got everything in place to find that the engine was knocking. Pulled it back out and decided to beef it up a little before putting it back in but need suggestions on the cam. Block was bored 30 over and zero decked. Bought a set of D0OE 351W heads that have been cleaned up and had a little work done. 1.94 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves installed. Flow numbers are 188 on the intake and 176 on the exhaust. Chambers vary between 62cc and 65cc. I figured Compression right in the 9.6 or so with the standard felpro gasket that came with my gasket kit. Intake is a professional products "RPM" copy that has been cleaned up. Should have bought another intake but after a week of cleaning up the runners after work, I am using this one. That is where I am right now on the engine. Car will run an AOD with a Baughman engineering valve body kit. The rear end is a 59 9" with 3.73 gears. Not sure on the tire size yet. I still have the stock cam available still but want to take advantage of the upgrades if possible. Car will be used to go to local get togethers, swap meets and be driven to work probably once every few weeks. Thanks for the help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Intake is a professional products "RPM" copy
I am assuming EFI based on this.

Stock cam with 1.7RRs on that would be a very smooth and fun little (light) car.

If going aftermarket, don't get sucked into the "need big lift" mindset. Keep it simple, power band of cam 1500-6000, not more than 2000 for the bottom end (and actually off idle would be perfect) of the range and really anything over 5000 for the top end would be great for a street cruiser, tool around town. Think about it, how often will you need to run up around 6000 rpm and for how long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am assuming EFI based on this.

Stock cam with 1.7RRs on that would be a very smooth and fun little (light) car.

If going aftermarket, don't get sucked into the "need big lift" mindset. Keep it simple, power band of cam 1500-6000, not more than 2000 for the bottom end (and actually off idle would be perfect) of the range and really anything over 5000 for the top end would be great for a street cruiser, tool around town. Think about it, how often will you need to run up around 6000 rpm and for how long.
Yes it is EFI. Thanks for the response. This car might see 5000 rpm once or twice a year when I go to Atlanta and merge on to I-75, traffic is crazy. I have been doing a lot of reading and lots of people are staying with the stock cam. Sounds like the way I will go. I do have a set of comp 1.7 rockers so I will toss them in. I'm ready to get this thing on the road. Has been 5 years since the last time I drove it.

stock HO cam with 1,7 will do just fine then, you sticking with stock stall converter and stall spedd? you only mentioned the shift kit
I was waiting on the cam selection before buying a stall. I have a brand new 2500 stall that my dad was going to use that ended up with me a couple years ago. I also still have the stock one. Do they need to be rebuilt or would I be safe reusing it?

I still use the stock stall converter. I also have an upgraded valve body (Lentech Street Terminator) and have no issues using the stock one. Unless you plan to "launch" the car often, I don't think you need it. Your valve body (though I am not familiar with Baughman) should take care of sloppy shifts and similar plagues of the stock tranny.

I don't think i'd bother rebuilding a stock converter, the 2500 stall will be a step up in stall speed from stock, you could run a little bigger cam with that, I liked the comp xe264 (pretty mild cam) when I had Aod and 4.10 gears, gt 40 3 bar heads (they probably flow similar to your 351w heads), but the stocker with 1.7 ran good too

If it were me I'd run the new converter, but I think either will work with the stock cam for your intended purpose.

I grabbed the stock cam last night to get it all cleaned up and ready to put in the block and saw some numbers that didn't match what I was expecting. I was under the impression that it was a stock HO camshaft but it has 2031 on it. After some looking I am thinking it must be a Crane cam. Not sure what to do at this point. Either buy a stock cam or use this one or get a different one. How will the 2031 act? Any drivability issues?

Run the 2031 it's a good cam for what you are doing and not overly aggressive. Similar to the Comp XE264. Just make sure your valve springs will handle it. It has .513" on intake and .529" on exhaust for lift with 1.6 RRs.

Will the 972-16 springs work? I looked at the XE264 when researching cams and those are the springs I wrote down that go with it. If so they have them in stock at the speed shop about 40 miles away and will make getting the heads finished up a lot faster. Shipping takes forever because I live in the middle of nowhere.

Run the 2031 it's a good cam for what you are doing and not overly aggressive. Similar to the Comp XE264. Just make sure your valve springs will handle it. It has .513" on intake and .529" on exhaust for lift with 1.6 RRs.
Actually those lift numbers are with 1.7RRs (found it online in the Crane Master Catalog). Doing the math that would be .483 intake, .498 exhaust with 1.6 rockers. It would be a great streetable cam and since you already have it, put it in and enjoy.

Attachments

• Crane Cams Catalog 5_0 HO.pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 177
Actually those lift numbers are with 1.7RRs (found it online in the Crane Master Catalog). Doing the math that would be .483 intake, .498 exhaust with 1.6 rockers. It would be a great streetable cam and since you already have it, put it in and enjoy.
Yep. I missed that.