Can any turbo be used in a fox?

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
I'll start off by just saying i don't know jack about turbos.
Just wondering what makes a good turbo for the foxes? Could any big enough turbo be used (like say off a new diesel truck or something)? If not, what makes the popular types so popular?

• Sponsors (?)

You need a turbocharger that is sized to your motor on a combo similar to yours a set of t3t4 hybrids would work well as would a small frame 66. The main thing is to not get crazy and keep the turbo within the means of your combo. A diesel style turbo would work well really because they are made to spool quickly and make their boost at a relatively low rpm. This in turn would give you a car with little or no lag and would maintain full boost till your 6,000 rev. limit.

so something like a 2006 turbo off a duramax would be good? just asking b/c there is a guy locally with a wrecked 2006 duramax in need of $$$ fast, said the turbo was worth like $4000 from factory to replace, selling it for $600. just made me curious

how hard is it to get piping for something like this? i'm an ex-welder (i can weld at a professional level, but don't have access to a welder now). How hard would it be to fab up & piece together the stuff needed to run something like this? I'd even buy a several hundred dollar welding machine just so i didnt have to pay someone to do it. i have no problem with fabrication.... is it worth the hassle, or is it still better to just buy a good kit made for the 5.0?

That turbo would work well you need to find out what style mounting flanges they have as well as bearing type how they are lubed and cooled. Turbos with funky shaped flanges make it a pain to make hot side parts for. Just things to consider cause you will be on your own for making it all work. I'll look into it also.

If you can weld, then u can most likey fab it. Its a matter of seting it up on your engine. There are a few dedicated turbo mustang sites, run a google and they can surely point u in the correct direction. Should be a nasty project.

Looks like a fairly simple deal it has a basic 4 bolt mount flange a 3 bolt exhaust dump and an internal wastegate. It has oil provisions on it already and I believe liquid cooling. You could make all your hot side piping yourself you would need to ditch the longtubes though and make a new exhaust system. Move your battery to the trunk for turbo room and inlet piping. You will also need some fuel upgrades including a bigger pump , injectors, and a boost sensative regulator. Also a blowthrough mass air would help tuning issues alot.