can I use vac/boost gauge for vacuum?

• Sponsors (?)

if its mechanical it should come with the tubing and fittings you'll need. All you have to do is splice the tube off the gauge into vac line in the engine bay. the easiest place would probably be an unused nipple on the vacuum tree

RacEoHolic330 said:
if its mechanical it should come with the tubing and fittings you'll need. All you have to do is splice the tube off the gauge into vac line in the engine bay. the easiest place would probably be an unused nipple on the vacuum tree
:stupid:

Mine did not come with the vac line though. Couple bucks at the parts store for that though. I also used the unused port (SD) on the vac tree.

Most gauges have boost too, and it allows your 'room to grow'. LOL.

I dont recall even seeing dedicated vac gauges recently - not that I looked. Back in the day they were common (in the 60's, etc).

Same same to me (I have installed them on a turbocharged car and N/A motors). The former was just more fun to look at. :D

HISSIN50 said:
I dont recall even seeing dedicated vac gauges recently - not that I looked. Back in the day they were common (in the 60's, etc).

I had a vacuum gauge in my orange car. As it turns out, they're still useful for tuning and diagnosing problems. Sure it's much easier to get the computer to tell you what's wrong -- but they still have some uses (especially without a computer!). It also makes people ooh and ahh when they watch it and don't know what it is. :nice:

89MustangGX said:
I had a vacuum gauge in my orange car. As it turns out, they're still useful for tuning and diagnosing problems. Sure it's much easier to get the computer to tell you what's wrong -- but they still have some uses (especially without a computer!). It also makes people ooh and ahh when they watch it and don't know what it is. :nice:
I hear you all the way. I run a couple of them in various cars, including the SD '88. I was just saying that I dont mind having a boost side on the gauge, even though I am N/A. As opposed to cars in the 60's, which sometimes came with stock vac (only, no boost side) gauges.

HISSIN50 said:
I hear you all the way. I run a couple of them in various cars, including the SD '88. I was just saying that I dont mind having a boost side on the gauge, even though I am N/A. As opposed to cars in the 60's, which sometimes came with stock vac (only, no boost side) gauges.

I agree -- was just adding a little. Not many people are aware of the many uses of vacuum gauges -- for the most part they seem to have died with computers that could diagnose problems being put in cars.

It's worth looking into regardless of whether you have a vacuum/boost gauge or just a vacuum gauge. :nice:

The vaccume gauge will have a wider range just for vaccume, while the vac/boost you will only be using half the gauge. Do you relize that having a boost area not being used could result in an itch to fill it. :)

90mustangGT said:
The vaccume gauge will have a wider range just for vaccume, while the vac/boost you will only be using half the gauge. Do you relize that having a boost area not being used could result in an itch to fill it. :)
Yep. My vac/boost gauge goes to 30" hg - more than enough. (just an FYI that a vac/boost combo should be more than enough. Look for more than a 20" hg max on the gauge being used).

Jason, that part about filling an itch was what I thought too (I phrased it as room to grow). :D

Adam, I get what you meant now. :cheers: