Can pony wheels be polished?

I had a discussion (or an argument rather) on whether the pony wheels can be polished. My dad claims that the wheels are painted and therefore polishing will do no good. Is he right or wrong? I would be interested in seeing pics of any ponies that have been polished to see if it's worth my time. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Polishing them is the easiest wheel I did so far. After the first stage of stripper and you get past the primer coating the surface is pretty smooth to work with. Unlike some other mustang wheels I have worked with after the primer the rough casting underneath is really tough to cut with hand sanding. Just remember any polishing job is a time consuming lengthy project and it's no easy task and wheels like these are not the easiest thing in the world to start with for a First polishing project. Start of small and progress from there.

IMG_8453.jpg

IMHO that looks like ass! the center cap doesnt match the rest of the wheel

Thank you for your nice and friendly response to my post.

I should start by saying that this pic was only a mock-up, and I posted it just to give an idea of whats to come. (This is a work in progress).

Once its done we'll see who the ass is....

well when you find that your cant get polished aluminum to match chrome you will have wasted a lot of time

You are really not sharing anything constructive.. or new. I'm well aware of the chrome to polished difference, and so is everyone else here.. I'm also aware of the $800 to $300 difference between wheel sets.

As far as wasting my time...hardly..I will post here the end result for everyone to see.

BTW. can you do better?:shrug:

nope cuz i know better then to waste my time trying to make polished aluminum look like polished nickle... but go for it its your time and money.