Can someone educate me as to what exacly a CAI and ud pulleys do

blake44

Aug 19, 2008
I just bought a 2003 gt a couple months ago and have about no knowledge of mods whatsoever let alone really cars. I really love cars and especially mustang's but just don't really know anything about car tech. I've been looking at some ways to add a little extra horsepower such as a CAI and underdrive pulleys. I already have a o/r x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers and understand that but can someone teach me as to how a CAI and underdrive pulleys affect the mustang? Like what exactly do they do that causes horsepower to be freed up?

Crap was I supposed to post this in 4.6 tech?

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought a 2003 gt a couple months ago and have about no knowledge of mods whatsoever let alone really cars. I really love cars and especially mustang's but just don't really know anything about car tech. I've been looking at some ways to add a little extra horsepower such as a CAI and underdrive pulleys. I already have a o/r x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers and understand that but can someone teach me as to how a CAI and underdrive pulleys affect the mustang? Like what exactly do they do that causes horsepower to be freed up?

CAI will give you appearance and a little better intake sound but not much if any horsepower.

Do you ever plan on doing a supercharger? If so you might as well forget the pullies because you will just be pulling them back off when the supercharger goes on.

CAI will give you appearance and a little better intake sound but not much if any horsepower.

Do you ever plan on doing a supercharger? If so you might as well forget the pullies because you will just be pulling them back off when the supercharger goes on.

No, I highly doubt I will ever be putting a supercharger on this one

A CAI will give around 5-10 hp compared to stock. The pulleys that are on your car already weigh 10-15 pounds I think and when u put a lighter pulley on the rotating mass is less therefore your motor dosn't have to work as hard to turn the pulleys so in turn you gain or transfer the hp that would have been going to the pulleys now is going to your rear wheels.

You already have a nice CAI, stock...... Just add a K&N reusable filter and
remove the rubber snorkel that sticks into the fenderwell. I have a Mac chrome
CAI sitting on a shelf in my Garage cause I just like the stock/K&N better.

Yeah I have a chrome BBK CAI just sitting around also since I liked the black look better, the K&N Fipk does look good and it's black.....even if it gets you next to nothing for power.

Ive heard of people doing this to the stock airbox before. But could you elaborate on exactly what it would do? I would imagine with the stock snorkel the air being pulled in would be slightly cooler.:shrug:

Ive heard of people doing this to the stock airbox before. But could you elaborate on exactly what it would do? I would imagine with the stock snorkel the air being pulled in would be slightly cooler.:shrug:

1. The K&N is a free flowing high quality filter, the best out there IMO.
2. The snorkel is actually a silencer and is restrictive. Once removed
the hole is much bigger and is still drawing most of its air from
the fenderwell. Plus you are still getting the benifit of the air box
as a heat shield and water protection.
3. You dont get heat soak as bad as a chrome CAI which can be a problem
when its 100 degrees outside.

Do not get a CIA it is a waste of $200 just take out the air silencer and put a drop in K&N. UDPs are a good mod if you are not going to supercharger her. I have them and noticed a difference the first time I drove with them. They slow down your accessories so the engine doesn’t work as hard which frees up some lost hp. So if you are not going to go F/I this is the list of things that are worth upgrading to.

1. 3.73 or 4.10 gears (this is a must)
2. K&N drop in filter with the air silencer removed
3. Steeda UDPs
4. 93 Oct custom tune
5. Full exhaust (Long tubes, mid pipe and cat back).
6. 75mm Throttle body and plenum.
7. Aluminum drive shaft (less rotational mass)
8. MM full length sub frames
9. Lower the car

With the above mods you will have one fun car.

No one really answered the pullies question yet...

Under drive pullies turn the accessories slower (so they are under-driven:) ) so the engine doesn't work as hard to turn them.

Cold air intakes can be for show, but anything that helps the engine breathe is a plus. You can make a CAI from PVC piping and save yourself a whole lot of money.

No one really answered the pullies question yet...

Under drive pullies turn the accessories slower (so they are under-driven:) ) so the engine doesn't work as hard to turn them.

Cold air intakes can be for show, but anything that helps the engine breathe is a plus. You can make a CAI from PVC piping and save yourself a whole lot of money.

lol look at my post right above yours, I answered the pullie question:nice:.