Can someone try and identify how quality my exhaust system is?

blake44

Aug 19, 2008
When I bought the car 6 months ago it came with the whole exhaust system. It looks like an o/r x-pipe but can't tell what the mufflers are. And does it look like it was properly done?

View attachment 287169

View attachment 287172

View attachment 287174

View attachment 287176

View attachment 287178

View attachment 287180

View attachment 287182

And it looks as if everything is welded in there? Also it was put in there low so my car has terrible clearance. How am I supposed to lower it? I scrap when I go over tall speed bumps already. Will I be dragging my exhaust system all over the ground if I lower it?

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, it looks like a stock catback with flowmasters & tips welded in....Not too sure about the X pipe though, but it looks similar to a UPR....

Bingo, thats exactly what I was going to say. If that isn't a UPR X, it's a identical design. With the black casing on the Flowmasters, they are probaly Super-40's or Super-44's.

If you scrape now, it will only scrape more if you lower it. I scrape my X pipe alot, but it has held up fine regardless. You could probaly get away with an inch, or a little over without having too many more issues.

Whoever did the work on the exhaust could have done a better job. The X pipe looks like it is sitting fine, but the mufflers are tilted down towards the front of the car (especially the passenger side) and the flowtubes (running from the X pipe to the muffler) shouldn't be angled upwards like that, they should have been turned towards the side before it all got welded up.

IMO, it looks like a stock catback with flowmasters & tips welded in....Not too sure about the X pipe though, but it looks similar to a UPR....

Exactly, I'm guessing it to be either a UPR or Pypes Offroad X pipe, with yeah, a stock catback and flowmasters welded-in.

Usually, lowering the car just makes it a little slower over the bumps so you don't hop the suspension so much, and if you drop it even more, you'll have to be those of us who take speed bumps slowly and diagonally. The lowest point on the car is first to touch, and most often, that's the heat shielding on the cats... which you don't have. It looks like you've got a pretty solid exhaust job, so you should be fine.

It looks okay just old... The real question is how does it sound?

I know it does look pretty beat up and old but it sounds amazing and roars like a nascar like all other o/r x-pipes. Only question is if I wanted to get a high flow catback such as bassani would I have to cut the flows out because everything is welded? I can't really tell though. I don't know exactly where bolt-on's are bolted on at but it looks to me that everything is welded in there?

I know it does look pretty beat up and old but it sounds amazing and roars like a nascar like all other o/r x-pipes. Only question is if I wanted to get a high flow catback such as bassani would I have to cut the flows out because everything is welded? I can't really tell though. I don't know exactly where bolt-on's are bolted on at but it looks to me that everything is welded in there?

If you buy a new catback, you are replacing everything beyond the midpipe. Easiest way being cut the exhaust at the "humps" that go over the axle, unbolt it from the x-pipe and you probably have a few screw that line up the tips. Then cut the flows out and sell them to get a few bucks back.