Can You Identify The Sound In This Video?

kcpope

Mar 11, 2008
California
Hey guys, just bought this 01 Bullitt. Previous owner just had the tranny rebuilt (he said). But he said they foolishly didn't replace the TOB. Other than the sound of 1000 demons screaming under the car, the tranny shifts and feels fantastic.

Can you ID this noise?

When I come to a stop the noise does go away (whether clutch is in OR out.

View: https://youtu.be/3o6iBqDVyNc

• Sponsors (?)

Could be the throw out bearing. Begs the question why it wasn't replaced while everything was out for a rebuild, especially if it sounded that bad before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I find it very odd that the shop rebuilt the tranny but used the old TOB!? He was also mentioning that they may not have aligned something properly (something like that). Is that possible?

Alright, put it up on jacks and pinpointed the general location of the squeal.

As you can see in the vid, I'm thinking it's either the ujoint, or something near the tail end of the trans (not sure what else it could be). It appears that the u-joint has flung a lot of grease on the underbody, as the vid shows.

Any thoughts before I start with the u-joint?

View: https://youtu.be/HPEnOPdcvIo

Big channel locks are great for checking u- joints. Twist the crap outta that shaft. If there's any slop at all, replace u joints. If you got sooner fun money, put an aluminum drive shaft in that bad girl.

Reactions: 1 user
Update.
  • Removed the DS. I inspected the u joints and they feel smooth and tight. No noises when moving them by hand. Nonetheless, I took the DS down to a shop to have them replace the u joints for good measure.
  • The tailshaft yoke did have some wear and scoring. The shop is going to smooth that out as well. Picture attached. Does that wear look normal? Didn't seam TOO bad to me.
  • While the DS was OUT of the car and with it up on jacks, I started the car and ran it through all the gears. ZERO NOISES. This tells me it's something with the driveshaft itself or the tail shaft yoke.
  • While at the shop, the owner said it's imperative to also replace the tail shaft bushing and tailshaft seal, stating the tailshaft bushing would be worn just like the tailshaft yoke, which does make sense. (like I said, the tail shaft yoke didn't seem that bad in my opinion, but what do I know!)
  • Thoughts? Is it indeed imperative?
  • Could it be that when the tranny was recently rebuilt, they replaced the tail shaft bushing, and the squeal I'm hearing is the tail shaft yoke attempting to cut new grooves into the bushing?
See attached pics of tail shaft yoke...

20171101_224721647_iOS (Large).jpg
20171101_224733695_iOS (Large).jpg

Last edited: