Can't get 03 Cobra Wheels to fit on a fox?

Launchpad

Sep 9, 2005
I put a front wheel on, but the SVT center cap doesn't fit snug. The hub/spindle dust cap sticks out too far. Anyone else have these problems, I've seen these wheels on fox cars all over the place.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Sponsors (?)

the solution is to either mash your dust cap :eek: or to get 94-up spindles and brakes for the front of your fox. you dont have to go straight to the 13" cobra brakes, but most people love that upgrade. i can help you with that if you want, cuz i did that to mine :D

I was thinking I had 94' and up spindles, because they sit in the fender well pretty good... I thought the 96' and up spindles pushed them out? I just bought the car, so I'm not really sure how they did the 5 lug swap...

Thanks-

I was thinking I had 94' and up spindles, because they sit in the fender well pretty good... I thought the 96' and up spindles pushed them out? I just bought the car, so I'm not really sure how they did the 5 lug swap...

Thanks-

Nope you have the cheaper 5-lug Mark 7 rotor conversion. It's a quick easy way of converting to 5-lug, but you've just seen the drawback to this conversion.

You are gonna need to convert to SN95 front brakes, spindles, MC, etc.

Oh and 94-95 spindles push the front wheels out 5mm and the 96+ spindles push it out 14mm according to a Ford Engineer with CAD drawings.

I'm going to stay away from the spacers, otherwise is will just be one bandaid covering another I think.

I'd rather just put the right stuff on there, it's just tough when you don't know what your starting with!

Thanks-

Is there a way to tell the difference between the 94-95 and the 96 and up spindles?? I'm going to go junkyard shopping-

Thanks-

94-95 spindles have a curved steering arm while 96+ spindles tend to be straight.

Another way to tell is part numbers, but they are on the backside. 94-95 spindles will begind with either an F4 or F5 part number while the 96+ will have F6 part numbers (may be others as well)

Does it matter if the spindles come from a V6 car?

No, I bought all the v6 stuff for my car from a junk yard for 80-90 bucks and then bought new rotors(24.99). This is just to get me by until I upgrade. I still have the drums out back. Stops much better!

Doing it the right way will save you alot of headaches down the road.

ok, now I have some more questions. Let's say that I have either Ranger or Mark VII spindles. What exactly do I need to upgrade to the correct spindles....

94-95 spindles obviously, then what? New rotors? Will my old ones (which are new) not fit? Calipers?, brake lines?

Ultimately, I'd like 94-95 Cobra brakes all the way around. IF it's gonna cost me a couple hundred bucks to do this temporary wheel upgrade, maybe I'll just wait a bit and get the brakes, spindles and 5 lug conversion that I want...

Thanks for all the advice-

no no no, you dont have ranger or mark vii spindles. you have mustang spindles with ranger rotors.

as for what you need...

you need 94-95 or 96-up mustang spindles.

http://www.sn95brakes.com

Rotors, calipers, pads, hoses
You can keep your tie rod ends (may need to change them later after you see how it handles)
You can keep your ball joints (with a spacer) but obviously Steeda X2's are better.
Different master cylinder recommended for 13" front brakes and/or rear disc. I say, wait and get what you want. The 13" front brakes and upgraded MC will play nice with the proportioning valve and 9" rear drums. You should be able to keep your rear axles, and just use calipers, pads, rotors, ebrake cables, and brake brackets. Since you have ranger axles, hub centric rings to make the rotors fit better are good.

Yep you will need all of the above new rotor calipers, line and MC. I am piecing together mine upgrade now, as I also have the lincoln setup currently.

Go here for more info.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

or here!

http://www.sn95brakes.com/index.php

Of course it is a little difficult to tell from the picts with the wheel on as to what brake setup you actualy have, but the lincoln setup is the most likely.

Post some picts without the wheels and we can tell more about it, especially the rear, beacause there are many different ways that the rear brakes can be changed, such as using lincoln discs and flipping them, or not and using an all lincoln setup and running odd offset wheels such as I have. It could be ranger axles and something different.

And what kind of spindles? I recently realized that there is no way to get those wheels on there without different spindles. Or put them on without the center caps which is just super gay.

I'll have to think of chnging it all out I guess- Thanks for the info

What you have there is an SVO Mustang front brake rotor setup.

You have yhour original Mustang spindles, but you are running rotors that came off an SVO Mustang or a Lincoln Mark 7 and also used on the Fox Saleen Mustangs. It's identical to the Mustang OEM rotor except that it has 5-lugs.

The ranger rotors are used when dealing with the 79=86 Mustangs and the 87+ 4-banger Mustangs with the 10"front brake setup. The 87+ cars with the 11" brake setup use the Mark 7/SVO rotor.

Yes, you will need to change spindles to make the SN95 brake setup work. It's a lot of work, and not all that cheap. The GT's and V6's have the same identical front brake setups while the Cobra uses the same spindles but with a larger rotor and caliper. Up to you to decide what level you want to go with.

For parts you will need to get spindles, rotors, caliipers, brake lines, brake line adapter, spacers for the ball joints, a bumpsteer kit (may or may not need this) and then get it aligned afterwards. Then you will need to change your master cylinder and install an aftermarket prop valve.

AFTERMARKET 03 Cobra wheels may fit better, but unsure which brands work and which don't. It would be expensive to experiment so i woulnd't take the risk

What a huge pain in the azz.... I already bought the wheels, so I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get them to fit regardless of the brakes.

If I go get 94-95 spindles, the wheels will fit right? But then I need 94-95 calipers, rotors and everything else?

I'm trying to figure out if anything that I currently have will work, or if I have to swap out all of it. If I have to swap out all of it, I'll probably just sell the wheels and deal with it in the future.

Thanks-