Car overheating problems...

Gecko21_02

Founding Member
Jan 24, 2002
Iowa
My car all the sudden started overheating. At first my car would be running just fine then the temp gauge would just start rising past the red mark! Then all the sudden it'll drop back down to normal. Now my gauge stays under the cold mark then it'll just jump up to the red mark. Any ideas to what may be wrong? I replaced the thermostat but that only helped for a little bit. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

did you change the sensor and check your oil to see if it looks like a milky white. does it smoke whitish color then dissappears quickly when going in warm air. does it bog down or jerk a lot under acceleration.are you checking your coolant level and finding that you are loosing water. if not then i don't think your head gaskets are the problem. it is probably the sensor or air in the system.bleed the system out while it is cold and running open the bleeder valve on the intake and fill the radiator to the top and keep filling it until it is full and coming out of the bleeder valve. mine was doing this last week so i bled the system and put a new sensor in which cost 18 dollars. i have a 95 but i put a 2000 model motor in last week so i have not to worry about a head gasket problem.