car overheating

mhorn0817

Apr 27, 2006
welp, im sure you may have seen myother post about the convertible top rear window busting...at the time i had the car running and then after that happened i noticed the car was overheating and the coolant resivoir filling up quick....im kind of thinking maybe there is something wrong with the thermostat, maybe it stuck closed....anybody have any other input or ideas? its a carburater 331 stroker with elec fan....not the best way to start off with a new car huh?

• Sponsors (?)

Most racing catalogs such as summit have them.
But pepboys and autozone do have a small performance section that do have them sometimes.

Edit:
I just checked autozone.com, and the Mr.gasket 180 is normally stocked at my local stores.
I just typed mr. gasket thermostat into the search, then added year, ford, mustang, 5.0 at all the prompts.

Don't go nuts and get the 165, these thermostats flow more water, the 165 will be equivalent to almost running no t stat at all.

honestly...i have no clue if its pulling enogh cfm or not...supposily it nevers runs over 180 while driving, but when it was sitting for a few minutes i saw the overflow resivior filling up quick and noticed the temp gauge said 230 and i shut it off...i went to get the Mr Gasket 180 thermostat and the guy said he has 3 mustangs all done up and he said since its just a playtoy street.track car that he wouldnt even run a thermostat...should i try that?

Sounds like autozone advice.
You need a t stat. Or when it's cool out your car will never warm up.
And worse, the system will run wide open, meaning the coolant won't stay in the radiator long enough to get cool on hot days, and actually make your car hotter.

alrighty, guess ill go back and get it , lol...it will fit the correct

Yep, get the right stats for it and check your Fan blades (unless u have a e-fan). My 87' started getting hotter than normal on me, not really over heating. I knew the fan needed to be replaced but once I started replacing I realized that the real problem was in fan clutch. Replaced that and runs cool as ever now. Wished I had bought a e-fan though but I wont change what works!

alrighty, i found and fixed the problem....i noticed my electric fan was not running so i traced some wires and fixed out that the 30 amp circuit breaker poped, spent 3 bucks on a new one, put it in, turned the car on and the fan came on, let it sit,drove it,etc, never went above 180. thanks for all the help, now reply to my other post about my convertible rear window replacement post, lol