Car runs rough at idle, smooth in higher RPMs. If it is shut off, won't start back..

brentwoodboy

Nov 25, 2002
Brentwood, TN
I haven't been able to drive my car in 5 weeks. It idles VERY rough, but runs fine from 2K rpm and up. This problem started overnight. After it is driven a bit, and shut off, it will only crank (and not start)...

I miss driving my car!

Ive tried the idle reset, doesnt do a thing to my car. Before, my car would start and rev for 2 seconds then die.

• Sponsors (?)

Plugs and wires are good, have not checked the fuel pressure. I have checked all fuses. I even took out the fuse for my stereo and it just won't run right still...I may have a timing issue. I have found TDC and restuck the distributor, but I've rechecked this and my timing is dead on. I do not have a timing light though, so I turn the distributor to what feels right...I also have a diablo chip in my car.

Make sure the mass air is connected in electric and by tube to the throttle body. Mine slips off once in a while (sucky crap) and will not run or drive because air is coming from outside the Mass air sensor. :nono:

If you hold the throttle open with the pedal, and try to start it, what happens? Anything? If it starts, but dies as soon as you let off the pedal, your IAC valve is likely stuck and needs cleaning.

When I cleaned mine, it broke 2x worse. The only working replacement is sold at pep boys and it's the borg warner one, which looks exactly like the original.

If pressing the pedal doesn't help, it's not a air starvation issue. It's likely fuel or spark related.

First off, YOU CANNOT PROPERLY TIME A CAR W/O A TIMING LIGHT.

If you are having problems with the car, you don't want to leave any stone unturned, as they say. Get a flippin timing light ($30-$40), remove the spout connector, set it at 10 degrees, and see what happens.

Check your fuel pressure with and w/o vacuum. It's critical that the pressure is correct or problems will occur.

Check your cap, and check your rotor. If the contacts are all corroded, clean them if there is still enough metal left, or replace them.

Check your vacuum with a vacuum gauge. Since your cam is stock, you shoudl read around what the haynes manual says.

That should keep your busy.
Scott