Car "skipping" WOT ?

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hey,

First time it happens since I own the Stang.
Not always, but say 30% of the time when I press on the pedal to say
change lanes or whatever I just completely lack of power. The car sometimes litterally "skips" before finally picking up the power.
Or when i'm on the highway at 120km\h and i want to push it harder it skips as hell again and it barely accelerate.

What the hell can cause this ?

Rule out the fuel pump it was changed last year.
Thanks alot....

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm id like to get an answer on this too, mine usually does this if the car has sit for awhile... miss firing plug maybe?
I think plugs are a good thing to check. I once had a plug with a cracked insulator that was allowing the spark to bypass directly to the block, and the behavior was similar to what the OP describes. Going WOT, it would lay over with a significant loss of power, and after a few seconds it would pick up and take off. I was surprised what an affect one cracked plug could have.

just throwing some ideas out there:

Cracked rotor, bad plug and or wire, dist floating due to being not bolted tight enough, pip going bad, coil going bad. a bunch of things can cause it. My personal demon was one of the little plastic ribs on the bottom of the dist base that the cap clamps down over had broken off. At lower speed and rpms the cap was pretty much secure, but if I lead-footed it would rotate slightly. Not alot mind you, just enough to affect the timing until the rpms came back down. It was frustrating as hell until I found it.... your mileage may vary... good luck!

yeah those sound like my symptoms... we narrowed it down to the spark plugs/wires. might help if i did a tune up, havent done one in some time so that could definitely be it. plus when we did the last tune up, the wires we had originally on the car were REALLY good. this was about 1.5 years ago.

def think its that time!

I've had that problem off and on for over 2 years now, annoying as hell. It idles smoothly and drives fine under low throttle, but once I give'er, it deffinetly lacks power and sounds like its running on 7 or less cylinders. I changed wires and plugs twice so far, new coil and new distributor and it still comes back on occasion. It did it also before I changed the cap and rotor, so I doubt they're the cause.
I'm tempted to change the plugs again to see if it'll help. I use motocrafts gapped at 0.052"....
Let us know if you find the culprit.

Random thought: could a sticking (open) EGR cause this to happen?