Car stumbled and died/pulled codes/???s for experts please

Car has mods in sig. Smog pump is disconnected/no cats. Idle has occasionally stumbled for about 1 second or 2 like it misfired, then returns to normal. This happened 3 times in the last week (driven every day). Saturday night I pulled into my subdivision and it just died. I started it three times (turns over but didn't start up) and it finally ran on the fourth try. The stumbling is intermittent and happens out of the blue. I've had a new fuel pump/relay installed within the past two months, and it primes just fine. I ran codes and got 14, 21, 44, and 94. I'm not concerned about 44 or 94, but could someone give some input on 14 (ignition profile pickup erratic) and 21 (coolant temperature out of specified range)?

Thanks-
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

14 means your pip sensor or hall effect sensor in your dizzy. Doesn't neccesarily mean it is bad though it my experience anytime you have a problem with a bad miss when you pull codes you get the pip sensor erratcic code. I got it when my TPS failed it was of course causing the car to missfire and the pip to be erratic. After replacing the TPS and reseting the computer the 14 went away. The 21 probabaly means your ECT sensor is bad.

Code 14 - Look at your TFI module or Pickup in the distribitor, also check the wiring for these things.

Code 21 - You will get this code if you pull codes when your motor is not at operating temp. If it was at operating temp when you got this code,then either the wiring or the coolant temp sensor is bad.

Mario

The Shape said:
14 means your pip sensor or hall effect sensor in your dizzy. Doesn't neccesarily mean it is bad though it my experience anytime you have a problem with a bad miss when you pull codes you get the pip sensor erratcic code. I got it when my TPS failed it was of course causing the car to missfire and the pip to be erratic. After replacing the TPS and reseting the computer the 14 went away. The 21 probabaly means your ECT sensor is bad.

A few questions-I'm still learning:
What is the PIP sensor/hall effect sensor
How do you reset the computer (Is this required after replacing a sensor?)
Is there any way to test the TFI module or PIP sensor/hall effect sensor?-I replaced the TFI module about 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies everyone

Hawaii-50 said:
A few questions-I'm still learning:
What is the PIP sensor/hall effect sensor
How do you reset the computer (Is this required after replacing a sensor?)
Is there any way to test the TFI module or PIP sensor/hall effect sensor?-I replaced the TFI module about 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies everyone
PIP is the sensor inside the bowl of the dizzy. it sends the signal for spark at the right time.

reset the puter means to clear the codes and clear the memory of the learned adaptive strategies. disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to clear the brain and KAM (as otherwise the puter has been trying to adapt to a bad sensor and does not know it has a new one - you give it a fresh start). it is a good idea anytime a sensor is replaced or adjusted.

good luck.

86T-Top said:
Code 14 - Look at your TFI module or Pickup in the distribitor, also check the wiring for these things.

Code 21 - You will get this code if you pull codes when your motor is not at operating temp. If it was at operating temp when you got this code,then either the wiring or the coolant temp sensor is bad.

Mario

I think 86T-Top has you guided towards your most likely problem area.. the distributor.

Try removing the distributor cap and checking for any calcium build up on the prongs inside as well. These could be a commonly culperate.