car wont make the power or run the number, whats wrong?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok some of u may have read my topic on my dyno runs.

my mods are
rebuilt 302 shortblock
thumper ported e7s
tmoss ported stock lower intake.
gasket matched upper (port matched and opened to 70mm TB)
B-cam advanced 4 degrees
1.7 RRs
70mm TB
73 MM MAF (stock injectors)
CAI
holley 190lph with adj regulator.
UD pullies
BBK headers
OR Hpipe
dynomax race bullet mufflers
KC clutch
freshly rebuilt t5 with 2.95 D&D gearset with steeda triax
aluminum DS
3.90 gears

car made 225HP and 265-270 lb FT on a mustang dyno

got to the track today and it ran best of [email protected] with a 2.1 60' on street tires.

i didnt come to conclusions on the HP numbers till i got to the track to see what it would do. people said the mustang dynos read lower than dynojets and etc.

i came out dissapointed in its performance today. the car runs good. no problems with it running it runs smooth and drives great. AFR on the dyno was a steady 13:1

i did a compression test last week to start eliminating possibilities. the test was perfect, all 8 cyls were in between 140-145

for the engine HCI i figured it would have made more HP and trapped at least 104-105 running mid to low 13s everyone online seems to have great luck with tmoss/thumper combos.

take mind my stock engine actually ran the same if not better than my new engine.

best runs on the stock engine were 14.1 @99 with a 2.0 60' on DRs
and
13.9 @97 with a 1.9 60' on DRs

mods then included
BONE STOCK LONGBLOCK never had heads off and had over 140k miles
1.7 RRs
CAI
UD pullies
E-fan
flowtech headers, crappy hpipe and flow40s
KC clutch
stock 3.35 t5
3.90s gears

as you can see, i added quite a bit of new parts to the new engine and gained nothing, actually seemed like it lost power at the track.

but the engine runs good, no mechanical problems. just doesnt make the power it seems

like i stated before, AFR was dead on, compression couldnt be better
one thing i considered was going back in and putting the B-cam back to straight up instead of deg adv. the new engine stops pulling shortly after 5k, a stock engine pulls to the same point. i think it may help but wouldnt have thought i would have had such a drastic effect on numbers and times.

just confuses me, i have seen people with very similar combos running mid to high 12s.

maybe i should just park it, take off the HCI i have now, sell it and dont cut corners and go straight for the trickflow HCI kit and be done with it.

on the dyno deal. my friend has a 97 GT, its mods are short, it has a k&n filter. and a hpipe and flowmasters an on the exact same dyno it made 207 HP and 270 TQ, made the same TQ as me and not much less HP. i figured everything i have done to my car would have it make more than 17 HP over a pretty much stock SOHC 4.6L, so its almost certain something is wrong with my car.

some could argue that its still just stock parts, but i added a handful of mods and i figured i would have gained some power there and better times, i figured a nice tmoss/thumper/B-cam HCI would be more than a 25 hp increase over stock assuming a stock 5.0 makes 200 HP on the dyno

so i come to my question do you guys have any idea on what may be wrong and what to maybe try doing.

• Sponsors (?)

i'd suggest throwing the cam back straight.. no degreeing of any sort.. an electric fan, a completely ported intake (imo) would do better up top, and do you have a set of high lift valve springs? .. also what do you run the timing at as it sits?

the springs are the one thumper installs, if they are his base heads then i dont think they are much more than stock springs

and the timing is at about 15-18 degress advanced

what kinda plugs are you running.. what wires etc.. running any msd? dont have the dyno charts on hand do you? if you do, check out where its making power and it stops.. post them up if you can

motorcraft plugs, FRPP wireset, the power on the dyno was a smooth curve. no real point where it started pulling, it was a smooth gain up until about 5200 and then it started falling down.

what are you shifting at? Its not exactly a powerhosue combo, but it should do around 102 at least. My friends stock geared/exhaust only 90GT went like 100mph.

Also, how did you advance the cam 4*? If you just put it in and used the timing chain to advance it 4*, thats incredibly incorrect. You can't degree a cam or change its degree if you don't know where it is to begin with.

he had the 2.95 t5 in with his other motor so thats not the prob.

best runs on the stock engine were 14.1 @99 with a 2.0 60' on DRs
and
13.9 @97 with a 1.9 60' on DRs

mods then included
BONE STOCK LONGBLOCK never had heads off and had over 140k miles
1.7 RRs
CAI
UD pullies
E-fan
flowtech headers, crappy hpipe and flow40s
KC clutch
stock 3.35 t5
3.90s gears

the trans isnt the problem. to counter the higher 1st gear i just have to launch at a higher rpm(which isnt bad, bc i would be at a better rpm making more power upon launch) i forgot to add, but the 13.9 run on the stock engine was with the 2.95 trans.( the 14.1 was with the old 3.35 t5) my driving isnt a problem it just wont get the mph, yesterday i ran it, i managed a 2.1 60' on street tires and not any spin, had to feather it some for the first 200' or so, but i didnt spin, and i gave it all it had, it wasnt going to get any better, the car was running asa good as it was going to get. i probably would have been running 13.6-13.8 with a good tire, but still wouldnt have had the mph i wanted. i know the heads and stuff are capable of more.

on the cam timing, i didnt actually "degree" it i just bought the frpp adjustable timing set and set the crank sprocket to 4Degrees adv. like thumper told me. i feel that may contributing heavily to my problem, i feel it needs more topend.

i still may just go ahead and strip it down and get the TFS kit, i will most likely want more power anyways later on. i dont have much money at all in my currentHCI

my shortblock is rebuilt and the compression test was great so its up to it for sure.

thumper heads have a special tag punched into the top where the valve cover sits. i emailed thumper pics of the heads and he confirmed they were his.

i had a machinist tear em down and check them out since i got them used. and he said they had very good port work done to them.

i am almost certain they are thumpers, btu who knows, its definatly possible that they arent.

talked to the machinist guy i know. hes real knowledgeable and i showed him my dyno sheets. he said its starts building torque good and then peaks too early and said my intake manifold can keep up with the rest of the engine. which seems to make sense he said a better flowing intake would help me out alot. i still duno if i want to go ahead and get one or step up to the trickflow stuff. i already have supporing mods. i have a bigger TB, MAF and a bigger fuel pump all i will need is a slightly bigger injector.... i just feel even if i get it running right, i would still want more power.

people get 300RWHP all day with the TFS kit, thats pretty damn good. and like i said, now would be the best time seeing as i already have all the bolt ons and and ready to go

what should i do stick with the budget stuff or step up to the big stuff.