Centerforce Dual Friction and others

bobc83

Jul 31, 2007
Normal,IL
I'm currently in the market for a new clutch. So after reading a lot of threads on Stangnet I hear you guys love the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. They sound really nice and hear nothing but good things from them. I am tryin to steer away from SPEC clutches, I'm currently using their stage 1 clutch and billet flywheel and its got about 1k miles on it now and has yet to stop chattering. Can't complain about it holding power, it does have that covered well it's just not for me. My car is procharged and makes 423rwhp but I really only go to the strip maybe once or twice a year. So I'm looking for a clutch with good holding power and not a super stiff clutch. My buddy has one is his chevrolet 4x4 and says they are pretty stiff, BUT they don't chatter which is high on my list now. Any input on the Centerforce DF clutches or even their I and II clutches which I see on their website would be a HUGE help to me. Thanks guys and have a good weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had my DF clutch in now for about a year. Can't complain about it. The only time I get any chatter is getting going in first gear if the RPM's drop below idle, it will chatter slightly. Any other time it's a very smooth street clutch but bangs hard when you want it too. Pedal effort is fairly stiff but around stock effort. I'm not sure if your familiar with F-bodies at all, but my buddy has a 2000 SS and stock clutches in those are feather light. Anyway he has a centerforce 2 in his car and it's way stiffer then my clutch could ever be. So if you don't want serious pedal effort I would stay away from the centerforce 2. I've got about 15,000 miles on mine so far and holding strong, daily driven or sprayed.

I'm making 440-470 rwhp (depending on which tune I use). Right now, I have Mcleod dual friction, which was recommended to me by Walt at Promotion Powertrain. I still can't get over how streetable it is -almost like stock. On the drag strip, it has held up well last season; about 20-30 passes with 2nd gear burnouts, and 5500 rpms drop clutch launches on 28" slicks. Before this I had SPEC 3, which was great on the dragstrip, but I dreaded driving the car in traffic.

They are probably the same clutch. Most clutches on the market are all made by Valeo but are put in different boxex. You can order a spec 1 or a NAPA HD clutch and they look exactly the same with the Valeo stamping. I had a compatition clutch stage 2 before this and it looked exactly like the Spec 2