Change to Automatic or keep stick shift

I just want to hear everyone's opinion about this.

Currently I am building a beast of a mustang

331 Forged ESP Stroker SVO Block (comp: 10:1)
Ported and bowled Victor Jr Heads
Holley SysteMax Intake
Comp Cams Xtreme XFI Stroker Cam
1.6 RR

Thats the basics, I can put more info needed.

My goal is to make a street/strip monster. Next year she'll have a supercharger. I love stick shift, but I don't want to worry about blowing the crap out of it. So I'm thinking of a AOD? I know I will perform better with the auto, but manual is my favorite. What do you guys think, please give good reasons with your reponse.

• Sponsors (?)

Blk91stang said:
I will be in the same dilemma soon. I say if you drive the car on the street a lot than I would keep the stick shift. If its going to be a track car than I would switch to an automatic for better reliability and more consistant times.

I'm with him, the auto will be more consistant, but since you like the stick, stick with it. Yes, you will have to spend some$$$ to get a beefier trans but your car is already set up for it, so you would probbably save money in the long run.....IMO.

.... I swapped from a tremec to an Art Carr AOD and love it. Specially when I added the blower.

A well built AOD and converter will set you back a few $$$$ though. Some days when I just want to cruise I put it "D" and ride and flip OD on when I get up to 55mph. And 97% of the time, I manually shift it.

But don't swap cause people on here say swap, do what you want. If you like the stick I say keep it a stick and just get a better 5-speed to handle the power.

I like both, The AOD if built right is very fun to drive, not to mention consistent and you never miss a gear, YOu can even put a manual valve body it it if you want to shift it all the time, Sticks are fun also, but there is stuff to worry about missing shifts, over revs, clutches holding up, shifting forks bending, So do want you want.....either way its going to cost some money, When you get into the upper power levels autos that are setup correctly are faster than sticks anyway. :D

Yes there are a few, My last 89 Was around 500, I ran the stock T-5 with a heavy duty clutch, I was careful shifting, no power shifting and I didnt run any slicks, and it worked great until I sold it. Generally you would want to upgrade to a tremec or G force tranny though, They can handle 500 no problem.

Right that is what I thought. I don't plan on running slicks because I want it to be more of a street machine. I'm looking at a TKO-600 to replace my T-5. I'm not sure what clutch yet.

It's just my dad thinks I should put in an auto and his justifications are that: I won't overrev, stronger than a manual, and its too hard to shift a car with 500+.

I understand his points all except the last one, he's never driven a 500+ hp car so I don't really count that as a point. I'm not trying get in a fight with my dad, I just want to hear more opinions.

soontobefastfox said:
It's just my dad thinks I should put in an auto and his justifications are that: I won't overrev, stronger than a manual, and its too hard to shift a car with 500+.

Look at what Lamborghinis, Ferrari's, Turbo Porsches, and most other supercars have always been equipped with from the factory...Having had the privelage to drive a Gallardo:jaw: ( not quite 500 hp,) I can tell you the clutch and shifter required less effort than my wife's brand new Jetta GLI..Its all about getting the proper setup.

Dont be a woman... :D shift your own gears. Nothing impressive about an auto going fast down the track, but a well driven stick shift is something to watch! The amount you would put into a well built AOD, you could spend a little more and drop in a T-56 Viper spec tranny. Will hold the power, and give you two overdrives for those long cruises. I am the biggest advocator of the standards, and unless your running deep 9s or better, I will never say go auto...

Listen to me or not, me personally, NO AUTO.

25thmustang said:
Nothing impressive about an auto going fast down the track.

:rolleyes: because im sure his main goal is to impress you. I would go with what you want, i went with a C4 because i want it to be fast and leave hard on the converter and i dont want to miss a shift and let the guy in the lane next to me take the win. Ive considered a stick, and may go with a viper spec one day, but a well built C4 with a 4000 stall leaving on the trans brake will put your balls in your throat. It seems stick guys hate atomatics but autos dont mind sticks, ill never understand it, but dont let us decide for you...

I had and have driven fast versions of both and thats my opinion. I personally cant drive a car that my sister can hop in and drive faster (and yes she could drive an auto faster, she weighs less). I am more for the fact that it takes a skill to go out and bang gears in a stick, whereas it is much less skill to do so in an auto.

Hey you dont like my opinion, thats fine, I tried to put out my disclaimer before hand.

Also to note his goal was to have a fun fast car with a reliable tranny. A Viper T56 is reliable, and retains the fun factor of the stick.

I think I'm going to go with stick shift, I talked to a guy a MMR and I'm looking to get the MMR TKO 750. I've always loved manual and my mustang was my first car and my first manual and I want it to stay that way. Now I gotta convince my dad, but its my money I just don't want it to go and hear the whole "I told you so" lol

SAY GO said:
:rolleyes: It seems stick guys hate atomatics but autos dont mind sticks, ill never understand it, but dont let us decide for you...

I have noticed that too..:shrug: Stick shift guys thinks it's the next best thing next to sliced bread or sex.:D ( not flaming anyone guys, just cuttin up)

Now, if I had to run a c4 then I would of stayed with a stick shift. But a well built AOD is just as fun as any stick, IMO. Don't get me wrong, not saying their better, but can be as much fun.. If you have a manual/auto or full manual valve body,, and a good converter.