Cheap Epoxy?

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I have a set of GT40s that are going on my truck . Each exhaust port has EGR ports that aren't needed and cause a lot of turbulence. Is there a cheap epoxy that I can use to fill the port and smooth the roof of the runner out? Or a better method?

• Sponsors (?)

I would be careful as many epoxy will not hold up to the heat and shrink and fall out.

Also from my experience with using it of the intake side never sand or rough it up after. It creates pours that fuel will eventually break down. You want that shinny coating.

Epoxy will not stand up to the heat of an exhaust port. JB weld makes a new product that they rate to 400 degree constant, 500 degree intermittent. But the last time I checked, the exhaust port will go over 700 easy...

What's the finger say to epoxy?

As to whether it's a better method I couldn't say,....but tapping the port, plugging it, and grinding it smooth...:shrug:

I have a set of GT40s that are going on my truck . Each exhaust port has EGR ports that aren't needed and cause a lot of turbulence. Is there a cheap epoxy that I can use to fill the port and smooth the roof of the runner out? Or a better method?
Check out http://www.diyporting.com/ before doing anything else. There is some very interesting information on porting GT40 heads.

Epoxy will not stand up to the heat of an exhaust port. JB weld makes a new product that they rate to 400 degree constant, 500 degree intermittent. But the last time I checked, the exhaust port will go over 700 easy...

What's the finger say to epoxy?

As to whether it's a better method I couldn't say,....but tapping the port, plugging it, and grinding it smooth...:shrug:
Your solution is about where I landed, although haven’t tried it yet. Reports say it’s good for 12 cfm. That’s a lot for not a lot of effort!
Epoxy is definitely a bust.

Check out http://www.diyporting.com/ before doing anything else. There is some very interesting information on porting GT40 heads.
I’ve read, re read, and studied those pages many, many times. There is a lot of good DIY porting info out there and that is among the best!

Another good thread is on Corral. Tinman did some work on a set of GT40s and they worked better than a lot of aftermarket aluminum heads.

I studied it a long while a year or so ago and went to work on a set of P heads. Flow tests showed and average of 18% improvement over stock. Was it worth the effort? No. But it was fun to learn. I ruined a head in the process and cut it apart to learn what was inside.
D3567888-5D21-4153-9992-25CE7A73167A.jpeg
3C2A1378-9687-4325-B762-4044B0DE29EA.jpeg
422DEB01-3876-457E-B0FF-26BD6287D8B8.jpeg

A trick with the old 4 barrel Cleveland heads was the braze the exhaust floors up. The ones I have seen are gold colored, so maybe brass???

Joe

Reactions: 1 user