Cheap headers any good? Flowtech 1 5/8" longtubes for $125...

hdawg06

Jan 8, 2006
I saw these on 50resto today, and are the 1 5/8" longtube headers any good? Link! They are $125 new. Do they fit right and how is installation? Should I opt for the BBK for $100 more?

They also have the ceramic coated header for $250. Link 2!

My friend and I were discussing these for his car, '92 LX(5-speed). He isn't certain on what he is going to do at the moment, but is leaning towards 100shot of nitrous, suspension, and probably a cam and intake for starters. Would the 1 5/8" headers be the best bet here? The BBK ones I was referring to are $215 for 1 5/8" and $300 for 1 7/8", non ceramic coated. He doesn't have a huge budget, but would what would be best? Would he see a significant difference up top with a h/c/i+100shot in hp with the 1/8" difference? I am meaning like 20+hp?

Thanks in advance for the feedback on the cheap headers.

• Sponsors (?)

Summit sells long tubes for like $96. Fit/work great. look into those.

What kind of H-pipe goes with that? Or would it have to be a custom H-pipe welded on? We did a full exhaust setup with bbk headers, or h-pipe, and cheap catback for right at $520 shipped to the door from 50resto. I really would prefer us not having to have custom fabbed stuff hooked up and costing more than the bbk in the end. We can't weld...:notnice:

i know in summit they have the BBK longtubes for around 300 bucks, and they sell an H pipe for the long tubes, also from BBK for 125 dollaz. DOnt know if thats outta the price range, but thats an easy hookup. I have had 2 sets of BBK headers, not ceramic, just chrome, and i thought they were well worth the money, and they lasted a long time, and they are made really well. I had a set of Flowtechs on my beater truck, a 91 Ford F-250, and i bought them cause they were cheap, like $100 or something. ANd they were the biggest pieces of crap i ever put on, the holes didnt line up for the bolts, so i had to ream them out, and you couldnt even get the one spark plug in so i had to beat the tube in a little so the plug would clear! Maybe other people had better experiences, but i wont buy any Flowtech junk again. and they rusted and looked like manure in about a month! hey good luck!

Yeah. We were leaning towards the BBK originally, but the 1 5/8" ones. I had a pair on my Mach1 that were easy to install, and sounded great, and another guy around here has a pair on his notch. I thought they were made well, and fit perfectly. Maybe we will just stick with those. Plus, the H-pipe for them is only $120, so he would be looking at $350 for headers/orh if he didn't get a catback for a while.

I just got done helping my cousin put a set of Flowtech long tubes on his 86 5.0 conversion (with C-4) and they are major JUNK! They rub the frame on both sides or come very close and at least one spark plug he said he couldn't get in without beating some clearance. Also the bolt access is horrible. I would get something else.

i dunno, im just goin from my experience. i mean the Flowtechs had crappy flanges and everything,they were pretty thin. At least the bbks had nice thick 3/8" . THe overall quality of the Flowtechs i had were just junk, the welds sucked, and like i said, they didnt even fit right! but hey thats JMO

Thanks for the feedback guys, it really helped. I told my friend about them, and he said he was going to opt for the BBK. Just one last question, for a nitrous+c/i and maybe heads, would 1 5/8" be fine, or should I opt for $75 more and get 1 3/4"? Would he even see a 10whp difference once tuned on the dyno?

Thanks for the feedback guys, it really helped. I told my friend about them, and he said he was going to opt for the BBK. Just one last question, for a nitrous+c/i and maybe heads, would 1 5/8" be fine, or should I opt for $75 more and get 1 3/4"? Would he even see a 10whp difference once tuned on the dyno?

Unless you're going to see a whole lot of really high RPM (over 6500) then get the 1-5/8" with 2.5" exhaust. A 302 is a 302 and it only needs a specific amount of exhaust flow at a given RPM regardless of HP. Get too big a header and it kills exhaust volecity.