civics are alright

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
Well, had to get this out there, I actually like them for what they are. I have lived with my girlfreind for close to 2 years now, and she owns an 06(new body style) civic. When Im not driving my work van, I always drive it. I have driven it from Houston to South Padre Island on two trips (roughly 320 miles each way) and each way we have about 1/3 of a tank left. We routinely take this car on all our road trips. Right now, the car has 29000 thousand miles with the stock rubber and still a good amount of tread left. The car has a decent ride and the steering is much tighter and responsive than any sn95 or new edge mustang Ive driven. It

Ill just say that I come from a family that drives only ford and toyota(suv's and trucks). I hate the "import scene" with a passion, and hate retarded modded civic drivers with fart cans. But after 2 years of driving the car on just about a daily basis, I can completely see why these cars sale so much, why they have a high retail value, and why they last so long.

I wont be buying one anytime soon, or ever, but I feel its a well built car.

• Sponsors (?)

Well they are reliable cars for sure these days. It makes a great commuter and for the gas mileage they get:hail2: I wish my mustang had that kind of gas mileage:D My girlfriend has a Toyota C-Rolla and it drives good and all but I'm glad I own a mustang if you know what I mean:D

you rarely see someone complaining about a honda's reliability. theyre great cars, they obviously know what theyre doing. now that said, i hate them with a passion. theyre part of the reason for the downfall of ford, imho.

i mean come on. they make lawn mowers.

seems like nobody remembers pearl harbor anymore. its like buying oil from osamma in 40 years. imo.

My gf has an 06 civic sedan as well - it's an awesome daily driver and gets awesome mileage (though she still complains about gas prices and her mileage....40mpg+ vs my 14-15mpg in the stang :nonono:). I'm really not a fan of FWD, but for what it is Honda does it well. I would much rather drive an AWD car or even a RWD pony car, even in the snow, over a FWD car.

My daily driver accord is pretty nice too - but hopefully come spring I'll be bumming my dads new Trail Blazer over the honda haha....or I'll have a new car to trump them all :D

There a good car, I don't think there all there cracked up to be, so they get 35 mpg, they better the're light and have a tiny engine my buddies MK VII gets 28+ and its heavy and has more then twice the displacement. They have a good reputation for the most part but they still break, and have their weird issues. I have buddies who are real into them, the have just as many problems as domestics.

any car will last a long time if you take care of the maintenance

Honda/Toyota just brainwash people into thinking their cars are the "most reliable"

4.6 motors go FOREVER...taxi cabs and police interceptors go like 300K miles + no problem.

Just my .02 on "reliability"

Honda/Toyota just brainwash people into thinking their cars are the "most reliable"

4.6 motors go FOREVER...taxi cabs and police interceptors go like 300K miles + no problem.

True that Buddy, just keep up with maintenance and any car will do you well.

Agreed except for the part about how honda/toyota got the rep for reliability..

Basically what happened is american companies built total crap back in the late 70's early 80's and at that time hondas and toyotas were light years better than cars from the big three. That gap has pretty much closed now in quality BUT the big three is still suffering because

1. perceived image.. If you think a car will be better you will justify any small problems the car has or even major ones.. But a car you think is a less quality car that same person will look at the same problems or even less and use it as reasons to call that car less reliable.. Fact is 99 percent of cars today are very reliable and very close in quality.

2. Old union contracts.. The big three pay way more in labor costs per unit than the japanese makes. This causes the big three to have to save on part costs and development costs. As the automakers put pressure on the parts suppliers to reduce cost then quality drops because of the cheaper parts.

Me and my wife own a 07 Honda Civic and can't be any happier with it. It gets great fuel mileage and is very reliable. I keep up with the mantenince and change the oil every 5000 miles as recommended and use Mobil 1. So this car should last us a very long time. BTW that doesn't mean we are going to soup it up or anything. Thats why I got the mustang it gets 25mpg highway and the civic gets 37 highway. But the car is way lighter than the mustang. I can only wonder what someone with a fox body coupe and a 4.6 could get on the highway. I got 30mpg with an old 87 coupe with a slightly modded engine and 3.55s. I am sure a 4.6 would get more than a 5.0.

Beat me to it! Hell, my sister has 100k on her 00 focus and beats the crap out of it. She changes the oil every 10-12,000 miles and never does any maintenance on it. Well she is out of town, and there is snow on the ground, so I am driving it to work and back. I cant beleive how SMOOTH that motor is. Even the stock struts and shocks on that thing feel like new! I deff want a focus for my daily driver!

Beat me to it! Hell, my sister has 100k on her 00 focus and beats the crap out of it. She changes the oil every 10-12,000 miles and never does any maintenance on it. Well she is out of town, and there is snow on the ground, so I am driving it to work and back. I cant beleive how SMOOTH that motor is. Even the stock struts and shocks on that thing feel like new! I deff want a focus for my daily driver!

check out Mazda 3's too. the dealer i work at also sells mazdas. the 3's are based on the european focus, updated chassis. the fit and finish is a lot better.

btw my daily is a 2004 Volvo S60R, whats gas mileage again?

Honda makes a hell of a car that you can beat the crap out of not take care of and still get alot of miles out of it.. I've had 4 hondas and an integra and liked them all.. No ricer mod crap!! 2 Prelude SI's one with the 1.8 dual sidedraft 3bbls and a 2.0 dohc.. Bone stock the dual carb prelude ran 10.05's in the 1/8th.. not to bad for an 85 with 425k miles on it... I put had an accord that ran to 575k and the only reason i got rid of it was i wrecked it in the front and it ate tires real bad.. my other accord i put 308k on it no problem sold it to a guy i work with he still driving it... Good cars very reliable very low maintnence.. They hold up better in a crash than alot of domestics to believe it or not i know from experiance (accords i dunno about a civic...)

Well, had to get this out there, I actually like them for what they are. I have lived with my girlfreind for close to 2 years now, and she owns an 06(new body style) civic. When Im not driving my work van, I always drive it. I have driven it from Houston to South Padre Island on two trips (roughly 320 miles each way) and each way we have about 1/3 of a tank left. We routinely take this car on all our road trips. Right now, the car has 29000 thousand miles with the stock rubber and still a good amount of tread left. The car has a decent ride and the steering is much tighter and responsive than any sn95 or new edge mustang Ive driven. It

Ill just say that I come from a family that drives only ford and toyota(suv's and trucks). I hate the "import scene" with a passion, and hate retarded modded civic drivers with fart cans. But after 2 years of driving the car on just about a daily basis, I can completely see why these cars sale so much, why they have a high retail value, and why they last so long.

I wont be buying one anytime soon, or ever, but I feel its a well built car.

Wrong forum!!!! I-LOVE-HONDA-AND-IM-GAY.com is waiting for you. :notnice:

I do know that Toyota has had a lot of issues in 2001 with engine sludging. I have a Friend who is a Benz tech with a 2004 Tacoma 33k on it and it has a knock... There good little cars and you cant deny the the do last. I just would rather buy an American car, not that there is anything wrong with buying imported cars, Global economy makes the world go round. I think its to eachs' own every car and auto maker has good and bad points, I just dislike when people say American car company's can't build cars. I hear the new SN97 are very nice and get great reviews. Though I have never drove one myself.