Clean battery install... need ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

Curious to see pics of anyone does this. This is on my list to do but haven't done it yet.

Obviously pre-92 guys can't do this unless you have swapped to the mini starter setup

Curious to see pics of anyone does this. This is on my list to do but haven't done it yet.

Obviously pre-92 guys can't do this unless you have swapped to the mini starter setup

I'm going to do it... as soon as the weather warms up here in NJ, I can get started back on the car... have to finish putting the rest of the stuff on the motor (just dropped it back in the car before winter) and remove all the old wire loom and re-wrap it ect... and re-install all the other stuff that goes in the engine compartment, except the solenoid of course now... lol so this is the best time to do it...

How are your electrical and soldering skills?

View: https://youtu.be/ZDSOIN0egMo?t=124

You don't need the whole setup this video shows, you just need to build your custom battery cells and hide them strategically. :D

The cleanest battery install is the one that isn't under the hood. The thing weighs 50+ pounds, it's on the same side the driver is on, and all of that extra weight is in front of the strut tower,making the car even heavier in the nose and on the left side..How many more reasons do you need to move the thing to the rear?.

I really like the idea of stuff like this. I did a couple custom batteries on rc stuff. Main issue is costs and charging... and some of those batteries explode lol

The cleanest battery install is the one that isn't under the hood. The thing weighs 50+ pounds, it's on the same side the driver is on, and all of that extra weight is in front of the strut tower,making the car even heavier in the nose and on the left side..How many more reasons do you need to move the thing to the rear?.

I agree, and it’s on the list, just not very High. If/when I do it, I’ll do it right, and that cost a little money and I just simply have things higher on the list than this.

Main issue is costs and charging... and some of those batteries explode lol

I build/fly drones. I usually loosely attach the battery (just enough to secure it in flight) so that a severe crash jars the battery loose and away. They have a habit of spontaneously catching fire in a hard crash.

I haven't had that happen yet...

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like solenoid posts are 5/16. I ordered the 3/8 block though.
50FB272F-F8B9-4590-B5A9-DAC3BA56B508.jpeg

I build/fly drones. I usually loosely attach the battery (just enough to secure it in flight) so that a severe crash jars the battery loose and away. They have a habit of spontaneously catching fire in a hard crash.

I haven't had that happen yet...

I used to play airsoft. I personally had to douse one of my guns in water when a battery failed and started bursting into flames. They do however make a newer and safer batteries

This thread has me wondering what I did at the time I put my engine in. I pulled every possible piece from my '92 Vert and installed in my '88 a few years ago. I'm almost positive I have the newer looking starter. I'm also not remembering changing anything at the starter solenoid...lol. I hate when that happens. I've had no issue with it so maybe I did move that one cable. I have all the "veryusefullinfo" diagrams I think. I'd really like to see a clear pic of the solenoid each way just for clarity. Pics are so much easier.

EDIT: I found a bunch of diagrams of before and after so pics aren't necessary but still accepted!

factory.jpg

and the new wiring
new1.jpg

Attachments

• Installing a Ford Mini-Starter on Your FoxBody - FoxStang.pdf
    135.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I'll update when I do. My batt will remain stock location, but i'm looking to tidy up the wiring in that location.

I even had the idea to install an SN95 fuse box in that spot, but that requires moving the coil. My max motorsports strut tower brace really crowded the area up and why I don't use the coil cover now

Last edited:
I always wanted to see someone custom mount one of these batteries under the hood of a fox. It's really small but powerful...about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of our batteries. You could make a nice painted bracket and mount it closer to the fender apron....or behind the fender...

Screenshot_20190313-150157_Chrome.jpg

You can run something like this, and mount it on the other side of the fender if you want (although you'd need to jack car up and pull wheel to access when you need to)

$_1.jpg

At that point, you can activate the starter with a simplyl relay.

I did essentially this with one of my foxes. I used one from a 90s chevy suburban though. Looks the same just black and edges are square not rounded like the one pictured otherwise the same.

I always wanted to see someone custom mount one of these batteries under the hood of a fox. It's really small but powerful...about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of our batteries. You could make a nice painted bracket and mount it closer to the fender apron....or behind the fender...

I've done this with a odyssey PC680 in my gmc syclone... I was attracked to it because of weight savings and I could move it out of sight and make room for my air 2 air piping. It worked great but not moving the truck much and having a slight small draw would make short work of the battery. Plus throw in winter temps and I found myself having to charge it here and there which became annoying. The battery just didn't have the saturation you would with a full size

I did mine . Its in my inner fender now . I haven’t fired the car yet but it’s wired as you described .

Seems I remember a magazine writeup on a custom that took one of those batteries, lay'd it on the side and recessed it into the fender well, only the top exposed the top where the posts are.
just think'n.

Think this guy that noobz told
Me about had something similar on his crazy KB setup. Don’t think it’s a dyna batt but it looks similar. Don’t know where this car is now and think this guy went to the modular side.
83905183-CF09-4CFF-A049-F3F0426699FA.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry billison but @Rdub6 or @Mustang5L5 if you guys do this can you make a write up on what you bought, what you did and what you did away with if anything besides the solenoid thanks.

Got some of the parts I need. I’m determined to make this work. Ordered all new battery cables, and starter cable today. Figure I might as well do it right, plus I’ll prob need a little more length anyway.

874F6E86-78D4-4894-B4D9-989883A01AF0.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users