clunking noise

I thought, I would like to post for my buddy to find the answer what is wrong with it. some of you guys can get answer for my buddy? thanks. BTW, his car is 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 with 5 speed.

He said:

so this has been going on for a few weeks now, at first i thought it was just bumps in the road, but when i push the clutch pedal down, about 2 inches from the floor it makes a little clunking noise...It does this both in gear and neutral, driving/coasting or stopped, both engine on or off.....what do you think, i can think of maybe throw out bearing, or theres a ridge worn into maybe the clutch fork and now that is worn past a little bit of the friction material on the clutch, that its jumping out of the groove because the clutch fork has to move farther now? im pretty sure its not the pedal making any noise, b/c there isnt any side to side play in the pedal.

i took a longer look at it a couple minutes....jacked it up, took off the clutch fork inspection cover, got my dad to step on the clutch, and the noise seems to be comming from infront of the pressure plate, like the clutch disc area, cant really tell...Maybe something is getting caught up on the splines of the input shaft?

View attachment 388329

heres the mystery noise, who knows what it is lol

• Sponsors (?)

You might have a bad T/O bearing. Another thing to consider is the front bearing retainer. Stock ones are aluminum and the bearing wears a groove there. That might be the case also. Clutch forks don't normally go bad, but it could. Another thing to consider is the pivot ball in the bell housing. All these parts can wear out and make noise. You can try greasing things up in there for now.

you can get steel steel bearing retainers at www.danddperformance.com