Drivetrain Clutch Cable too Short?!

vpap1

Sep 21, 2009
Soooooooooo......

Issue: clutch grabs too high on pedal for my liking. Begins to move car at about 75% up position, no issues shifting, grinding ect. My own driving/racing comfort. Trying to get the clutch to engage at about 45% release and be done by say 65%.

So I bought a firewall adjuster hoping it would help fix the issue, I was wrong It catches further up.

The car has a ford adjustable clutch cable, what looks to be an old single hook adjustable quadrant, and now the firewall adjuster. QuickTime bellhousing, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and tko 500- If any of the later parts makes a difference.

With the firewall adjuster turned all in to the firewall and the clutch cable nut and jam nut all the way at the edge of the cable, the car still begins to move at about 75-80% of full release.

Do I need a longer cable, swap out the quadrant, or will MacGyver chime in and help me fix this with some Bazooka Bubble gum and some belly button lint?!?!?! Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

What quadrant is it, the ramp rate effects pedal throw more then anything else. Single hook probably has a decent ramp rate like a quick release quadrant. EBay has some cheap triple hooks with a pretty tame rate since its a upr copy

What quadrant is it, the ramp rate effects pedal throw more then anything else. Single hook probably has a decent ramp rate like a quick release quadrant. EBay has some cheap triple hooks with a pretty tame rate since its a upr copy
TBH I am not sure. Was on the car when I bought it years ago but I suspect its a quick release.

Is what your saying slower release=more engagement closer to the floor? TY

If the adjustable clutch cable isn't completely loose, then why not back off the adjustment nut? If it is, then yeah, you've got another problem or it's too short.
adjustment nut is all the way loose, must be too short of a cable. I believe stock cable is 60" so I would need a 62" cable or so?

So for comparison sake I have a stock T5 bell housing, stock Ford clutch fork, RAM Powee Grip clutch, I think a BBK dual hook quadrant (it’s blue so guessing on brand as it been in the car 20 years), BBK firewall adjuster, and a Steeda adjustable cable for a Fox car.

With the firewall adjuster half way out and the cable on the back hook of the quadrant the nuts are about mid way on the treaded end of the clutch cable.

There is zero slop in the clutch pedal and it releases about half way down.

I have a spare (brand new Steeda) cable in the garage. I’ll dig it out and measure it and post back up.

Reactions: 1 user
So I hosed it and put this info in another thread…felt a little dumb.

All measurements are with the black rubber piece on the firewall end of the cable removed. Sheath length was measured from where the firewall end would engage the firewall adjuster to the end that would engage the bell housing. The cables were measured from where they would engage the quadrant to where they engaged the clutch fork. For the adjustable it was with both nuts at the very end of the threaded portion.

Stock Cable
Outer sheath length - 45-1/2”
Cable length - 57-3/4”

Adjustable Cable
Cable length - 59”

So I hosed it and put this info in another thread…felt a little dumb.

All measurements are with the black rubber piece on the firewall end of the cable removed. Sheath length was measured from where the firewall end would engage the firewall adjuster to the end that would engage the bell housing. The cables were measured from where they would engage the quadrant to where they engaged the clutch fork. For the adjustable it was with both nuts at the very end of the threaded portion.

Stock Cable
Cable length - 57-3/4”

Adjustable Cable
Cable length - 59”
Thank you for those measurements. It Appears I have a BBK Single hook quadrant, and the 59" adjustable cable. For experiment sake, I found a threaded rod that was 5/16" -24 and a rod coupler, and all the red thread locker. Essentially making a longer adjustment onto the cable... I will add a clutch cable free play mod using a 5" spring and some bushings. Curious to see if I can get the clutch to grab in the range I am looking for and still have the clutch get into gear without any problems.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe a Longer double hook quadrant would take up the slack and get me closer to what I am looking for. But stay tuned for experiments sake.