Clutch/Pressure Plate Not Releasing ???

wink05

May 21, 2007
I have a 1970 Mach I, 351 and 4 speed trans, 38K miles.

If the car sits more than a week, the clutch and pressure plate (I'm not a mechanic, hope I'm using the right terms) are not releasing. When I try to start the car, it's in gear and pressing the clutch has no effect. Is there a simple solution, or will replacing the clutch/pressure plate solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

• Sponsors (?)

It could be as simple as adjusting the clutch lever mechanism, but that doesn't explain why it only happens after it sits for a week. Are you using the factory style clutch mechanism or aftermarket cable or hydraulic? I would say based on the symptom, you won't need to replace the clutch or pressure plate, most likely just the mechanism used to disengage the clutch.

Sounds like a bit of surface rust is forming on PP, disk and flywheel. Do you live in a humid area? If you start the car in gear, with the car pointed in a clear direction of course, this'll usually break it loose, IF its a rust situation.

It is the factory clutch mechanism (only thing replaced on the car is tune-up, belts/hoses).

The vehicle is in the North Texas area, not real humid, compared to some parts of the US, but I suspected rust as gjz30075 mentioned.......sometimes it will break loose when I first hit the starter, but on two or three occassions, have had to hook on to it with the tractor and pull it to break it loose.......DON'T LIKE THAT OPTION.......so looking for a permenant fix as I'm not always available to start it on a weekly basis.

This is actually pretty common on Mustangs. Another way to break it loose is to jack up the rear, (both tires if it is posi) and while the car is running in gear, clutch pedal depressed, rear tires turning, slam on the brakes to break it free. This is a problem in trucks and farm tractors also. Many people use a 2X4 placed between the clutch pedal and dash to hold the clutch pedal down while in storage.

That sounds strange to me. My 4 speed stick Mustang sits in a storage yard outside space for weeks at a time and my clutch has never experienced that problem.

Do you park the car with the transmission in gear or in neutral? I've done both and it still doesn't stick. IMO, there is a problem there.

Something similar happened on a dune buggy I once had. The rear drums wouldn't release after disengaging the parking brake. I had to hit the drums with a hammer to release them. Once released it drove fine. I changed the shoes and never had a problem again. Maybe the clutch disc is in question.

Good luck.

Its kept parked inside, and in reverse.

I have kind of the same thing going on with the brakes bonding (rusting?) to the front brake drums on a 1974 VW beetle, if it sits for 3 months or more.....to the point I could drive the car and the tire would just slide on the pavement! May need to find another home for some of these toys.

My brother left his car parked outside in the Houston humidity for 18 month and never experienced the problem you are describing.

The clutch pedal is mechanically connected directly to the pressure plate. If you push it down the pressure plate MUST release.

There is definitely something wrong with your pressure plate/clutch/ throwout bearing and/or clutch linkage.

My brother left his car parked outside in the Houston humidity for 18 month and never experienced the problem you are describing.

The clutch pedal is mechanically connected directly to the pressure plate. If you push it down the pressure plate MUST release.

There is definitely something wrong with your pressure plate/clutch/ throwout bearing and/or clutch linkage.

The pressure plate will release when the clutch pedal is pressed down, but the clutch disc sticks to the flywheel, and this turns the transmission input shaft.