Clutch / Shifting Problems After New Clutch

GT-racer-13

Oct 1, 2017
1995 GT. Just replaced the clutch with a RAM HDX street/strip clutch and PP. Throw out bearing is Ford Racing and Pilot bearing is too. Flywheel was resurfaced at a shop.

After everything was done, the clutch would grab on the floor. I installed a Ford Racing adjustable cable and got it to the point that the clutch felt good and shifted nicely. After some time it became hard to get into gear, so I added some preload on the TOB. This helped for about a week. One hard shift into 2nd, and now it won't go into gear again, unless I wait for the RPM to come down and push it into gear. Also while driving, pushing in the clutch and giving it a rev, would result I a lurch. Sounds to me like a clutch disengagement issue.

This seems to be happening every time I adjust the cable. One hard shift and the clutch pedal feels dead and it's VERY difficult to get in gear. Pedal feels very sloppy and bite is very low.

Do I need a firewall adjustable cable??? I don't *think* anything was installed wrong, as I followed American muscles video guide on YouTube.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I tried to explain things to the best of my ability. If there is anything you need clarification on, please ask!

• Sponsors (?)

After you installed the clutch and new cable, did you reset the stock quadrant by pulling up on the clutch pedal? If you're still using the stock quadrant then you really have no need for an adjustable cable - it's self-adjusting. Most people (including myself) report better success with the OEM cable than anything adjustable. I think our clutches are just too heavy. If you want adjustment, a firewall adjuster (with a new quadrant) is the best bet. It'll also help that TOB last a bit longer as the pre-load on the TOB is what wears it out using the stock configuration.

Your plastic stock quadrant may also be starting to fail, and not keeping its adjustment (often due to missing teeth). In that case, again a new quadrant and firewall adjuster will help.

Here is a link to a thread about clutch replacement and parts suggestions including cables, adjusters and adjustments.
You can breez through to the clutch cable stuff.
I must ask do you still have the stock adjustable quadrant?
If you do check it for proper operation, I think it won't play well with an adjustable cable.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=6957073

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone! After 500 miles I adjusted the cable again and it seems to be fine now. I've done several mild / hard take offs and banged a few gears lol. It seems to be holding nicely.