Clutch Slipping part 2, Pressure plate looks shot????

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Well I posted a few weeks ago about my clutch slipping before i put the car away for the winter, well I tore it down and found that the pressure plate surface looks all messed up. It has like flat spots in it, I dont even know how to explain it w/ out confusing everyone but, you know how when you get a new pressure plate the back plate has a rough brushed metal type of surface, well now theres a bunch of flat smooth surfaces all over the place. I would expect it to look like a brake rotor with a constant smooth surace where it came in contact with the disc but oh know this has splotches all over the place almost like it wasnt coming in contact with the whole disc or somthing, the pressure plate also has several hairline fractures in it and 2 or 3 cracks where you can really feel it. What would cause someting like that to happen, does it sound like a defected part or what? It has less than 3k miles on it.

Also i posted last time that i tried a 2nd gear burnout at the track and actually had it in 4th and it smoked the clutch real good, could that have really messed it up?

• Sponsors (?)

It does sound heat-checked. Burned or glazed spots, discoloration, etc all indicate excessive heat (like slipping it for hole shots or a bad burnout).

I wouldn't even fart around with something like that (you mentioned fractures and such) - get a new clutch kit and if possible, a new flywheel. If not a new flywheel, have the machine shop thoroughly inspect it before and after turning it.

Good luck.

Yep thats its glazed spots and discoloration, i just picked up a new one today, sucky thing is i was in summit 2 weeks ago and they had one on the clearance rack for 60 bucks, nothing like spending 100 more for a new one, ohh well, thanks guys!

Check for oil leaks. Did you notice oil anywhere in the bellhousing, clutch fork cover, on the block, rear main seal?

Make sure not to put too much grease on the pivot ball where the fork rides. You only need a touch and anymore will melt and fly on your clutch.

def glazing and overheating, do you have burn spots too?

Did you break in the clutch properly? sounds like it was HEAVILY abused if the sucker is already cracked. How much power are you putting out vs the clutch that you used?