Cobra Electric Fan

Slowstang96

Founding Member
May 31, 2002
Tampa
So I see an emerging trend here, I'm going to spend all my time un-f-ing everything this kid did to the car before I bought it. I don't know how it's still running. It's got an electric fan out of a Cobra. Great upgrade right??? Only it's wired to a toggle switch on the dash. I know this needs to be corrected but was going to wait until I upgrade the alternator. So on the way home today I hear an awful rumbling sound followed by white smoke coming out from under the engine area. Luckily I was almost home. I get there notice my fan no longer works. It also looks like the shroud made contact with the pulley (see pic.) Nothing seems loose but maybe the movement of the engine was too much (there was very little clearance to begin with.)
That being said, the car is obviously undrivable until I fix this. I know the correct way is to upgrade the alt and wire it to the t-stat like it should be. Is there a safe temp fix that will get it working until then? :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

Here's the pic

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 136
So it looks like it toasted the crappy switch he used. I knew it was going as it gets hot to the touch. How much amperage does one of those switches pull? I got a replacement for a temp fix. It's a 50 A max. I also got a 35 A in line fuse. Will this blow? Thanks.

What year Cobra is the fan out of? The 94-95 fans had issues with the motor shorting out and burning up wiring harnesses.

I'd walk away from the current situation. Get a 3.8L Taurus, Mark VIII fan (etc) and a decent controller. I'd not want to even try to band-aid that thing. If you have to, borrow a mech fan from a friend who converted.

Good luck.

I'd walk away from the current situation.

Ha, I thought you were talking about the car...it crossed my mind but I'm not giving up that easily. The only indication of year I see on the fan is a 4.6 sticker on the top, the only reason I say its from a Cobra is because that's what the PO said and I'm starting to see how reliable his info is.
I got it working again by replacing the switch. Not that this setup is smart in any way, but it was wired to a 10 amp switch. Hopefully the 50 holds up until I can get the thing wired up correctly.
He has 2 toggle switches, one for the fan and another for the fuel pump because he thought it "was cool." Seems to me just band-aids for larger problems. Ultimately, I want to get rid of both of them.

The fan it self is fine what you need to get is a fan controller to turn on the fan when it gets to a certain temp spal makes a good one or hayden and they are relivetive inexpensive if done right you won't have to worry about the toggle switch anymore
Posted via Mobile Device