Cobra intake finally found and installed

• Sponsors (?)

Car runs on 91 pump fuel as well. Gentlemen again i have nothing to do with what was squeezed out of engine with parts i bought and installed.
Chip was installed and timing was added and that is number tuner squeezed out of engine.
Sincere apologies for upsetting a few here again that is what tuner got out of car.

Some folks think you're fibbing, but I don't. Apologies not necessary, especially when I specifically asked for your results. Anyone who's upset has their own problems, although I can definitely understand the BS flag. A simple explanation: the Dyno was wrong. Corrected values when the atmospheric conditions aren't properly implemented can be WAY off, as they would have to be here. Also, a dubious dyno operator can really skew results badly if he's trying to impress.

Someone else in here stated the stock 88 LPH pump is done at 230 rwhp. The math backs that experience up, too: on an N/A motor, an 88LPH calculates to 280hp, ~238 rwhp. More fuel pressure helps injectors but hurts fuel pumps. There's no band-aid for that. If you're right about your stock pump, then the dyno is reading about 50 rwhp high. Your combo would max that pump out and we'd see it leaning out up top, but the AFR curve is nice, flat, and rich the whole way.

A full Performer headed combo is good for 290-300 rwhp. I'd guess a stock cam and 55mm throttle body would cost about 25 rwhp. So, a 265-275 rwhp guesstimate, even with the ability to feed it the fuel. That still feels optimistic, though.

I don't know man. Another thing that strikes me as odd is how perfectly flat and conservative that AFR is. How was it tuned? Is it just the stock computer? I assume you didn't play with fuel pressure since you didn't even know its setting earlier. That's just another odd thing to see. Just one more part of the equation that doesn't work out.

Sure would be nice if you could take it out to the track, or pair it up with someone that has a known combo. You don't travel out near me in Cali, do ya?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Both my brothers 95 GT and my friends 93 LX made in the 280s-290s at the wheels over multiple dyno sessions with the stock fuel pump. They were not lean up top. Now they did have aftermarket cams and 24lbs injectors to go with the Edelbrock heads and intake. On the same day my other friends full bolt on 97 Cobra made 283 rwhp so I don't think the dyno was ready high.

Some folks think you're fibbing, but I don't. Apologies not necessary, especially when I specifically asked for your results. Anyone who's upset has their own problems, although I can definitely understand the BS flag. A simple explanation: the Dyno was wrong. Corrected values when the atmospheric conditions aren't properly implemented can be WAY off, as they would have to be here. Also, a dubious dyno operator can really skew results badly if he's trying to impress.

Someone else in here stated the stock 88 LPH pump is done at 230 rwhp. The math backs that experience up, too: on an N/A motor, an 88LPH calculates to 280hp, ~238 rwhp. More fuel pressure helps injectors but hurts fuel pumps. There's no band-aid for that. If you're right about your stock pump, then the dyno is reading about 50 rwhp high. Your combo would max that pump out and we'd see it leaning out up top, but the AFR curve is nice, flat, and rich the whole way.

A full Performer headed combo is good for 290-300 rwhp. I'd guess a stock cam and 55mm throttle body would cost about 25 rwhp. So, a 265-275 rwhp guesstimate, even with the ability to feed it the fuel. That still feels optimistic, though.

I don't know man. Another thing that strikes me as odd is how perfectly flat and conservative that AFR is. How was it tuned? Is it just the stock computer? I assume you didn't play with fuel pressure since you didn't even know its setting earlier. That's just another odd thing to see. Just one more part of the equation that doesn't work out.

Sure would be nice if you could take it out to the track, or pair it up with someone that has a known combo. You don't travel out near me in Cali, do ya?
Stock computer as well!
And I know car has stock cam,injectors and throttle body as I am so worried about yearly having to put my car on rollers for emissions and passing. Here in Az emission station are run by state so no paying anyone extra hundred to pass your car. Second car is put on rollers and a simulated driving is done on car while I stand in booth and my fingers crossed.

After a bit of digging, I've found quite a few instances of folks claiming their stock pump made in excess of 280rwhp. I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, and it sure looks that way. The math is the math, and it works out like I said, but either the underlying .5 N/A BSFC guideline is wrong, or the stock pump is underrated. Either way, I gave that information too much credit, and I appreciate you, aztecgwynn, for exposing it. I did not know that the stock pump was this capable.

That perspective opens my mind a bit about the rest of the information, too. I'm less skeptical, but I would still really appreciate seeing track numbers with this or a similar combo to back up the 280+ rwhp dyno. We've got all these folks wasting money on throttle bodies, and fuel pumps.... perhaps even injectors.

Last edited: