Cobra intake. Is it worth the trouble?

OL' WHITEY

Jan 28, 2004
Weddington, NC
I have been offered a '93 Cobra intake for $250. Also a set of used 1.7 roller rockers for $100. My question is, it it worth the trouble to swap from a stock intake to the Cobra on a stock motor with only bolt-ons? (see my sig.) How much hp will I pick up? Also, will the 1.7 rockers be a worthwhile addition? I figure they'll be easy enough to do with the intake off. Any gains with 1.7's other than potential valve train stability at higher rpms? I'm not sure about the age of the rockers or what to look for with regard to wear on them. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you are going aftermarket heads sooner than later and you didn't have your heart set on a different intake, this is a great deal.
$250 is a pretty good price, but maybe you can drop him another few bucks since your getting 1.7s as well. The 1.7s and the cobra intake will indeed up your power a bit.

However it depends on what your plans are on the future. The cobra intake is not the best intake out there, and if you are doing aftermarket heads and cam you will more than likely go with 1.6s in the future.

That said im sure you could get most of your money back selling those later.

It's definitely worth it. I picked up a ported 95 Cobra intake for real cheap, and it really helped out quite a bit. Since it's only $250 scoop it up man. You can always swap it out again later down the road too. I went from a 14.8 to a 14.1 with the intake, and a bigger throttle body.

its most def worth it i cant really tell you what the intake did as far as gains et wise ....but i picked up close to 2 mph in the 1/4 and that was with stock gears i figure a car with gears would benifit more.
if you upgrade later u can always sell the cobra manifold of port it to match your needs or hell, even get rid of the upper for a box intake .
Brian

Okay, I bought the intake today for $200. No dice on the roller rockers. He may be using them in an engine he's building. Questions: 1. What gasket should I use from intake to heads? 2. Should I go ahead and buy some new 1.7 roller rockers and put them in while I've got the intake off? I don't plan on doing heads anytime soon. 3. Would gasket matching (porting) do any good on the intake side if I don't touch the heads at all with the die grinder? I'm scared to grind on the heads with them installed. Half a$$ed...No?

Don't bother gasket matching - not worth the trouble on a street car and easy to screw something up; and I wouldn't bother with the 1.7's with the stock heads. The stock lower intake on the 5.0 is the biggest single restriction on the motor - your manifold will help you out, and will support most other mods you want to do later.

I'd go to the dealer and order an upper intake set for a 96 Explorer 5.0L. That should work fine on you cobra to HO transformation.

OL' WHITEY said:
Okay, I bought the intake today for $200. No dice on the roller rockers. He may be using them in an engine he's building. Questions: 1. What gasket should I use from intake to heads? 2. Should I go ahead and buy some new 1.7 roller rockers and put them in while I've got the intake off? I don't plan on doing heads anytime soon. 3. Would gasket matching (porting) do any good on the intake side if I don't touch the heads at all with the die grinder? I'm scared to grind on the heads with them installed. Half a$$ed...No?

When I picked up my 95 intake, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and ordered one there. It was like $6 or something.

yea anywhere has mine i got my gaskets from ford but i also happen to work there dont worry bout porting its pleanty enough for the stock motor.
im not sure if you have a throttle body or not but if you have a 70mm you might want to port when it bolts on to the intake .... no really port but match.
good luck with the install and let us know what you think when your done.
by the way i always do just one mod at a time so i can document my perfomence from a single mod , but thats just me
Brian

So the 1.7s won't make a difference? I don't want to have to take the upper off again just because I want to install 1.7s later. If ya'll say I don't need 'em, I guess I don't need 'em. I do value your opinions...at least some of you! Hehe!

OL' WHITEY said:
So the 1.7s won't make a difference? I don't want to have to take the upper off again just because I want to install 1.7s later. If ya'll say I don't need 'em, I guess I don't need 'em. I do value your opinions...at least some of you! Hehe!

I've heard they are supposed to help out by reducing friction. I guess it comes down to are you willing to pull the valve covers off just for some rocker arms? That's the extent of my knowledge about rocker arms. I don't even know where they get 1.6 and 1.7 from. :(

I have the 1.7's and I don't notice a difference really, I can feel a little in how it revs, but there are kinda a pain to install. But it is a good idea while you are down there, if you are make sure to check your springs and such to be able to support them. I got mine with the GT40 Heads and new springs. But 200 bucks on a Cobra intake is pretty good, I bought mine for 300, I got ripped, but oh well.

While we're on the topic, I guess I'll steal a bit of this thread.......

A friend of mine wants to trade my 1990 pony wheels for a complete cobra intake (Its good because I just did 5-lug, and am running waffles now).
My question is what is all supposed to be there when I get it? I am not sure how 'directly' it will bolt on my mostly stock GT. Since you guys said it might help, I'll go for it if it'll all work out.

thanks-
-Adam

iwashmycar said:
While we're on the topic, I guess I'll steal a bit of this thread.......

A friend of mine wants to trade my 1990 pony wheels for a complete cobra intake (Its good because I just did 5-lug, and am running waffles now).
My question is what is all supposed to be there when I get it? I am not sure how 'directly' it will bolt on my mostly stock GT. Since you guys said it might help, I'll go for it if it'll all work out.

thanks-
-Adam

First of all, what year is the Cobra intake? If it's a 93, great, if it's a 95 then you'll need to modify your intake track (cold air kit or whatever you have there). Other than that. it should just bolt right on in place of the stock one. The lower plenum fits right up. For the upper plenum you'll need some new (longer) bolts since the Cobra intake is taller. Holla @ me if you need more info.

The Cobra intake is a good intake. Much better than the stocker. You won't see the gains that you would if you had heads, but because the stock intake, in paticular the lower intake is the most restrictive part of the motor, yes you would feel a gain.

1.7rockers are hit or miss. I would put them on if you have them, but gains would be minimal. I have hear everything form 0-12HP gain claims. 1.7's will give you around .472 lift assuming that the stock cam in yours is at .444 lift. Stock heads don't really flow much more after .450 lift because the valve isn't the point of resistance, it is the ports and bowl area. I guess the guy isn't giving them to you for that price, so I would leave it alone for now. If you were to get any heads besides GT40's or Edelbrocks then you will need stud mount rockers, so save up for those.

Porting while heads are on car, not recomended. It's the exaust side that needs it the most anyways.