Cold start stall

2007 Mustang GT with a AIRAID cold air intake and a pypes cat back system.

When it is around freezing, i start the car and when i try to rev it up the rpm shoot to nearly zero and there is a puff puff, kinda like its just about to stall, i stop throttling and it returns back to idle normally. ( its an automatic btw) Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, for starters you should never rev your engine when it's cold, much less when it's freezing outside. Let your car just idle for 10-15 minutes and then try revving a tiny bit and see what it does.

in many places it is actually illegal to let your car sit and idle to warm up. When it is cold it is at is polluting worst and you fill the air around you with gunk. While it may take a while to warm up the cabin, the engine does not need to idle for fifteen minutes to be driveable. Three to five minutes at freezing is fine and more than enough time to get oil throught all the galleries and moving parts and thats the important part. Just drive it normally and it will be fine. Mine has the stall issue as well, it is an '05. Doesn't have to be freezing to do it though. Just kinda cold natured. If I let it run for a minute without trying to go anywhere, it is fine.

i find that hard to believe actually, i have had my car sitting and idling yesterday for several minutes to warm up the ice that was on the windshield. your in washington, are you saying its illegal to let your car idle to heat up the ice?

My car takes about 10 minutes to heat up everything to normal operating temperature by the temp gauge. In a lot of states its illegal to try to drive with ice on your windows so what do they expect you to do? let your car warm up or try driving without seeing where your going? i know i know, they do sell ice scrapers but they cant make you buy one...

There are many municipalities that will ticket you for letting your car run unattended in cold weather, not just in Washington. It's an air pollution issue.
What I was saying is that you don't have to warm your car to operating temp before driving. After a few minutes, the oil has warmed and spread through the engine. It is okay to drive now. Just drive normal. The car will come to operating temp quicker than idling and it won't hurt it No hot rodding.
I realize ice won't be melted but that is what
ice scrapers are for. It might be a bit chilly in the cabin but you are on the road and it minimizes pollution.

screw pollution in my opinion, when it comes to mustangs, idling a car for 15 minutes wont really do much for pollution, especially since people can do that sitting in traffic. but thats why i live in texas, no cop i know would write someone a ticket for having their car on