cold weather"no start"problem..below 20 degrees

jason500

Jan 8, 2010
1992 lx 2.3 liter, 8 plugger, Car starts fine in temps above 20 degrees, but just cranks and cranks when temps get below 20 degrees. I have tried to spray starting fluid into intake but this doesnt seem to have an effect. The car starts fine when the outside air temp goes above 20 degrees. The fuel pump runs every time I turn the key to run/start. I checked fuel press,and it seems fine.. My idle is set at a base of 800rpm with my tps sensor reads about 0.97 volts. Is the voltage to high? I purchase this car this summer and it has ran fine till this cold snap in the mid west with temps in the single digits for most of the day...I go back to work Monday morning and Im afraid it wont start for me...Please help...

• Sponsors (?)

new plugs,wires,icm,.3 months ago.checked spark while running to all 8 wires....still no start when cold..its about 2 degreesF RIGHT NOW IN SOUTHERN iL....a ford mechanic from "just ask" told me to check the IAC. I checked it and hooked it up to a batt to make sure it was operating..it was. when I hooked it back up to the wiring plug harrness on the car it didnt seem to make that clicking sound,but ther is 11.90 volts getting to the plug..It does effect the idle somewhat when I unplug it while its running..so I assume its working correctly....would the ACT sensor have anything to do with this no start cold issue??? Im running out of ideas..

If you give the engine gas, does it start? If it does start, that would indicate a problem with the IAC. Sometimes, it will be stuck/frozen in the closed position when the engine is cold and start working when the engine warm up. If the IAC were stuck when you are trying to start in cold weather, it wouldn't allow enough air, so it would start if you open the throttle a little. I've had to do that quite a few times on my fords.

I'm going to say that your new ignition control module is bad. If it's an inexpensive aftermarket one, they are prone to failure. See if you can get another known good one, even if it's used and try it. When cranking the engine, have a spark plug wire off to ensure you have spark (and it's not weak). If you do have spark, then crank it for a little while and pull a spark plug out and see if it is wet with gas. If it isn't then you know there is a fuel delivery issue.