Comp 262AH's installed

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sea of Tranquility
Took me two days but we took our time. I had a friend help with the install. Wasn't too bad really. I made sure to label everything with tape so I'd remember where it came from (still wound up with an extra bolt :rolleyes: ).

I was going to use the AFM retainer tool but with the first cam the cam washer fell though the timing cover and into the oil pan...so much for saving time. After some lunch and a trip to get gaskets we removed the timing cover and retrieved the bolt with a telescoping magnet. So on to the install...
I'll skip the basics of the install since alot has been written on this already. I'll touch on the pains and some solutions I found.

Aside from the washer in the oil pan (this is your warning to be careful with that one) one big problem is one of the power steering bolts. It is blocked by the high pressure steering line so rather than disconnect the line you have to get a 10mm wrench and turn it about 1/8 turn at a time. I found it easier to slip the wrench through the gap in the PS pump pulley. I took the suggestion of others and didn't replace this one. I cut it off and the pump is fine with just 3 bolts.

The driver's side valve cover is kind of a pain to remove also. It is blocked by the clutch cable somewhat but can be remove without pulling the cable. You just have to twist and turn it till it comes free. Replacing it can be tricky because you wan the gasket to remain in place. I discombobulated the gasket and had a massive oil leak. Had to remove it and try again. I used RTV to holt it in place.

Really the hardest part was just taking your time and not rushing. As long as you stick to the install instructions there really isn't a problem. I was able to pull the cam gears off without removing the chains and have no issues with timing although it would be strongly suggested that you follow the instructions for the removal and replacement ot the timing chains. My bud had to hold the gear for about 30 minutes each side while I removed the old cam...replaced rockers that kept knocking loose (they are just sitting on top of the springs)...and worked the new cams into place trying to line up the keyway to the sprocket. I didn't run into any trouble with this method but it could be a problem if you loose grip of the sprocket.

Anyone with general automotive knowledge can do it with the right tools. And the feeling of accomplishent is great.

Oh...the most important part...the ride. Sucker runs like a scaled cat. Well a lot quicker than it used to be...dyno numbers soon.

:banana:

• Sponsors (?)

coramprat said:
Took me two days but we took our time. I had a friend help with the install. Wasn't too bad really. I made sure to label everything with tape so I'd remember where it came from (still wound up with an extra bolt :rolleyes: ).

I was going to use the AFM retainer tool but with the first cam the cam washer fell though the timing cover and into the oil pan...so much for saving time. After some lunch and a trip to get gaskets we removed the timing cover and retrieved the bolt with a telescoping magnet. So on to the install...
I'll skip the basics of the install since alot has been written on this already. I'll touch on the pains and some solutions I found.

Aside from the washer in the oil pan (this is your warning to be careful with that one) one big problem is one of the power steering bolts. It is blocked by the high pressure steering line so rather than disconnect the line you have to get a 10mm wrench and turn it about 1/8 turn at a time. I found it easier to slip the wrench through the gap in the PS pump pulley. I took the suggestion of others and didn't replace this one. I cut it off and the pump is fine with just 3 bolts.

The driver's side valve cover is kind of a pain to remove also. It is blocked by the clutch cable somewhat but can be remove without pulling the cable. You just have to twist and turn it till it comes free. Replacing it can be tricky because you wan the gasket to remain in place. I discombobulated the gasket and had a massive oil leak. Had to remove it and try again. I used RTV to holt it in place.

Really the hardest part was just taking your time and not rushing. As long as you stick to the install instructions there really isn't a problem. I was able to pull the cam gears off without removing the chains and have no issues with timing although it would be strongly suggested that you follow the instructions for the removal and replacement ot the timing chains. My bud had to hold the gear for about 30 minutes each side while I removed the old cam...replaced rockers that kept knocking loose (they are just sitting on top of the springs)...and worked the new cams into place trying to line up the keyway to the sprocket. I didn't run into any trouble with this method but it could be a problem if you loose grip of the sprocket.

Anyone with general automotive knowledge can do it with the right tools. And the feeling of accomplishent is great.

Oh...the most important part...the ride. Sucker runs like a scaled cat. Well a lot quicker than it used to be...dyno numbers soon.

:banana:

discombobulated? Never heard that one. Anyways congrats, and di you say you have the PI swap?

hotmustang331 said:
discombobulated? Never heard that one. Anyways congrats, and di you say you have the PI swap?
Discombobulated=screwed up...but I guess it's self explainatory. :D
Just the intake. I have adapter plates to smooth the transition from the intake to the heads. Before my cams i dyno'd 214HP and 271TQ to the wheels. I'm doing another dyno soon to see the gains now.

congrats man :nice: the feeling ya did it yourself is awesome.

BE SURE to get a tune with them. i know some people don't & get away with it. but when i went to get my tune after i installed mine, my air/fuel was 18:1 on the first pull :eek: